Chapter Seven

Attachment is the root cause of all misery. Possessiveness is nourishment for the ego.
- Anonymous

Neil Harris

"Promise me, you'll behave."

I buttoned the suit jacket and smirked at Tyler. "I'm not promising anything."

"Really, Neil. This is a proper dinner party. Don't chase women here too." Claire grumbled as three of us entered the foyer of Marcus Davis's lavish estate otherwise known as mine.

Both of the husband and wife were warning me for two different reasons. Tyler for not losing my temper in front of my parent's murderer and Claire for not flirting around with the ladies.

Contrary to what they thought, I was well prepared tonight. I would make sure when I leave this house, Ashley Davis would be by my side tonight, anyhow possible.

"He noticed us." Tyler said and gestured toward the small circle of people on the centre.

Decors around the hall room were unmistakable. Many round tables with plush seats were already set up for dinner later on. As far as I saw from the foyer, the house was littered with various antique artefacts.

Marcus Davis really knew how to show off his wealth. Alas, he wasn't smarter than me.

While I checked around the room, standing few steps behind Tyler and Claire with my back to them, they conversed with the Davis family but when I heard my name, I walked toward them and finally noticed the dressed up people.

My eyes sought out the blonde princess immediately but it took me few seconds because three more heads were full of blonde locks. Her green eyes met mine and I grinned at her in greeting, enjoying the shock and terror sweep across her face.

"Neil?"

I stiffened, hearing Marcus Davis speak my name in confusion and for the first time, I faced the man who had snatched my sister's biggest supporters, who had vanished the light from my sister's eyes.

Parker and Marie Harris were god and goddess in Kate's eyes. To lose them had devastated Kate to the point of hurting herself. Admitted, my parents weren't my biggest fans but they were mine nonetheless and Kate meant the most to me. She was my parent in all sense and I would take revenge for every tear she shed.

Marcus Anthony Davis looked exactly like the picture portrayed him. He hadn't changed much and his eyes, the exact shade of my blonde princess's eyes were fixated on me.

Tyler nodded. "This is Neil Harris, my good friend."

"Harris?" Marcus raised her eyebrows. "I think I heard that name once or twice. Do you by any chance own the Harris Steel company?"

My last name uttered from his mouth made me want to forget my plan and carve his heart out right here but a warm hand closed around my fist.

"Neil?"

I looked down at Claire and realised I'd been quite for a while. Everyone was staring at me, including Marcus. So I plastered a smile, squeezing Claire's hand and stepped forward. "Yes. Harris Steel is mine. I am Neil Harris. Finally glad to meet you, Mr. Davis."

So glad to meet you finally, you've no idea.

Marcus beamed and clasped my hand, shaking enthusiastically. "Oh, yes, yes. Glad to meet you too. Welcome to my house."