Chapter Five

And I realized that there's a big difference between deciding to leave and knowing where to go.
- Robyn Schneider, The Beginning of Everything

Neil Harris

The phone rang once again and I dropped my bottle of Jack Daniels in frustration.

Does she never get tired?

Apparently not. Sighing, I swapped my finger on the screen before placing the phone on my ear.

"Don't you ever get tired of calling me?"

That was always my greeting for this annoying woman who called me daily.

"When it comes to you, no." She replied softly. "I love you, Neil. Don't ever forget that."

"What are you, three?" I scoffed but swallowed the sudden lump in my throat. Her pure voice washed over me like a soothing balm.

How I missed her!

"No, but Evan turned three." She said, her voice dripping with sadness. "He waited for you, Neil but you never showed up."

"I told you I couldn't come. Why didn't you tell him?" I retorted as my insides hurt, imagining the birthday boy waiting, in front of his green fist cake. Evan was such a huge hulk fan. Just three years old and he wanted to be as strong as hulk.

"And break his hopeful heart?"

"Well, it's broken at the end anyway when I didn't show up. You should've just told him straightaway that I won't be there for his birthday." I said, taking a swig from the bottle in my hand. Although, Evan's birthday was in the April along with my parents' death anniversary, Kate celebrated his birthday at every other month on the same date in order to not taint a celebration with the darkness of the death looming over it. Though, it was suffice to say, Kate made up for it by celebrating every month of that 26th except in the actual date in April. Almost two and half years passed, yet it still hurt to remember that gruesome day.

"Why are you being so cruel, Neil? He misses you. I miss you. Come home, Neil. Come home to us."

"My home is here. I have to take care of the family business, remember?" I sighed, leaving the bottle on the table and massaged my aching head.

"What happened, Neil? You were so carefree but now...."

"Responsible?" I suggested, getting defensive. "Isn't that what everyone wanted? I'm a responsible guy. I grew up. Isn't that what dad wanted? Why aren't you happy about that?"

"Because you aren't happy." She answered with a sigh.

After a pause, I gritted out. "I'm fine. I'm a grown man. I can handle my own damn life. Now, why did you call me?"

Her sweet voice turned wishful as she continued. "Thanksgiving is coming soon."

And I already knew where this conversation was headed.

"I'm sorry. I can't. I already have plans." I told her without a beat.

"But it's been long since you came for our family thanksgiving dinner."

Instantly, straightening up from my seat, my hands curled, feeling a rage unlike anything. "And it's going to be like this forever. Have you forgotten mom and dad died? That they're never going to be present on any family dinners? How could you go on and have these family dinners every year when mom's not there to cook with you, when dad's not there to carve the turkey for everyone?!"

"Neil, we can't possibly put our life on hold be----"

The rage drained me emotionally and I couldn't help but imagine Mom and Dad, smiling and laughing on every thanksgiving but no more.