Chapter Eight

To share your weakness is to make yourself vulnerable; to make yourself vulnerable is to show your strength.
- Criss Jami

Ashley Davis

As the night air and dark sky greeted me, my shoulders dropped from a stiff position to a relaxed one.

There were not a one person present on the ground in front of me. The back of the estate was quiet and lone which suited me perfectly. The hustle of the dinner party were, what I could tolerate. Co-existing with the elites were my expertise but he, who singled me out was breaking my composer.

Breathing in calmly, I gripped the stone wall railing but an image of him flashed in my mind.

The intense eyes clashing with mine. The corner of mouth upturning at me. He all but commanded me to meet him halfway, if not full way but I couldn't.

As soon as I saw him, my courage betrayed me and now here I was, standing alone on the balcony, enjoying the serenity.

But not for long.

Quick footsteps came from behind me and immediately, I spun around and flattened myself on the stone wall, beside the doorway.

A shadow reached the balcony before a black figure stepped out. Due to minimum light, the person was hidden from me. From the wide shoulder, I could tell he was a man. As soon as he started turning his head left and right, searching for something, I recognised his side profile.

Fate was really not on my side tonight. The one, who I was running away from was the one, who found me on this secluded balcony.

Pivoting on my heel, I barely missed slipping away through the door way when his firm hand closed around my wrist. I felt myself being pulled and smacked onto his hard body before being splayed onto my previous hidden spot.

"I found you, princess."

His breath fanned over my lips as both of his hands captured my wrists, blocking any chance of escape.

"You think you can hide away from me?" He said as he glided his nose over my cheek and I closed my eyes, calming my rapid breathing.

Why does he uneven my breathing?

"Please." I whispered and felt him lift his head up then a forehead touched my own.

"Please what?"

I could fill his broad chest, could feel his minty breath once again on my face. He was too close, invading my personal space like it was his personal property.

"Please, leave me alone." I helplessly said, even though I knew he wouldn't. He would never leave me alone.

"Why?" He asked and I was about to answer when he added. "Open your eyes for me."

Hesitantly, I complied and his hazel eyes were the first thing I noticed. He backed away a little bit to let me speak freely but didn't let his hands off me.

"I'm happy with my family, my fiancé. Why are you doing this to me?"

A startled look came over his face then gradually, ferociousness took over and he snarled. "You're happy with your family? Your fiancé? You're happy? Why can you get to be happy and not me? Why?"

I was taken aback by his words. I could never understand what he means and what goes through his head. I couldn't understand anything!

Frustrated for being in the dark and not understanding his motives at all, I tried to stomp my heel on his leather shoe but he moved it away. Anger poured into me at my weakness and I glared. "I don't know why you aren't happy. I don't know what happened to you. I didn't even know who you were before we met for God's sake!"