Chapter 11: The Big Bang

Percy POV

I was beyond furious with life. 

I was also furious with Grover for exposing my secret to Jason and Thalia of all people. I didn't want my cancer to be spotlight news for everyone. I didn't want to be treated differently. 

Thalia and Jason stayed for the rest of my chemotherapy session as I explained my condition to them. While Thalia was strong, I could see the emotions breaking Jason. Jason was one of my best friends since moving to Goode High, so this was a big deal. 

Honestly, I could understand his point of view, but I still didn't want anyone to know. That was my decision and a valid one at that. 

"You guys cannot tell anyone," I said boldly to them. 

Thalia and Jason just stared at me solemnly before nodding. 

"I'm serious, Thalia, I don't want anyone to know. I didn't even want you guys to know, but you do. This is my personal thing. Got it?" My voice was not only firm and strong but also filled with pent-up emotions. 

Jason and Thalia nodded again before deciding to leave. I still had volunteering after my chemo session. The Sundays I had chemo went on a rigid cycle: chemo in the morning, lunch, volunteering in the afternoon, and then, chemo/cancer side effects in the evening and night. Luckily, I usually got better by Monday morning so that I could attend school. 

I broke down after going back home that day. I wasn't ashamed to admit that I cried, punched, kicked, and ravaged my trailer. 

I hadn't gone to my trailer in the parking garage since the deal started because that's usually where I took the girls. Today, rather than spending hours there with a girl, I spent it by myself. I destroyed the place in anger before falling to the floor in exhaustion, sickness, and pain.  

I hated life right now. I hated bone cancer. I hated that my friends were finding out. I hated that I couldn't trust them to keep the secret. I hated this deal with Annabeth. 

I hated all of it. 

***

"Percy. Bro, wait and talk to me," Grover pleaded as we walked through the hallway. 

I was on my way to lunch, but I hadn't spoken to Grover all day. He realized pretty quickly that I was angry with him. I mean he spilled my cancer secret to not one but two of our friends. 

"Grover, I really don't want to talk right now," I said firmly. 

"Percy, I'm sorry. Bro, will you slow down?" 

"No, Grover. I am going to lunch, and it's gonna take some time to forgive you," I said. I hated being mad at my best friend, but I felt truly betrayed. 

Grover looked helpless and hurt as we walked into the cafeteria. I sat down in my usual spot next to Annabeth before pulling out my packed lunch. My mom makes sure to pack food that is least nauseating for me. 

The conversations stopped at our table as everyone's eyes fell on us. The tension was pretty obvious, and I was in an awful mood. 

I avoided Jason's and Thalia's gazes as well. 

"Seaweed Brain, are you okay?" Annabeth asked 

"Yeah, of course," I replied with a fake smile, but I was aching everywhere today. 

Annabeth looked around the table as everyone's conversations continued again. I was grateful that Thalia and Jason didn't say anything to anyone. Grover was staring at me guiltily the whole time, which made me feel bad.