18|chapter 18

⭒❃.✮:▹ 𝗚𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗱 ◃:✮.❃⭒

"𝘋𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘨𝘰 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥

"𝘋𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘨𝘰 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥. 𝘞𝘦'𝘳𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘒𝘢𝘵.𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘮𝘦."

-ˋˏ ༻✿༺ ˎˊ-

Panic crept up Katerina's spine as Jack tugged her along desperately, searching for high ground.

They clambered over the A-deck aft rail, sharing one exchanged glance before Jack lowered the girl by the waist, grabbing ahold of her hand before she could fall. Katerina's feet dangled by an inch or two above the deck. She gave Jack a small nod, reassuring him that he could let her go, and when he had, Katerina carefully fell onto the wood with her feet planted against it firmly.

The brunette let out a small gasp as a thud came from behind her. She quickly swivelled around, seeing that Jack had landed behind her, and with a small check of reassurance, they were off again.

The couple joined a crush of people clawing and scrambling over one another to get down the narrow stairs to the well deck, the only way up to the aft. Katerina's eyes widened as she saw a woman get pushed over the staircase railing and knew it was impossible to even try to climb them with so many people already shoving for a chance.

Jack had had the same thought, only quicker than Katerina, because as soon as she had comprehended that there was no way in getting down to the well deck, Jack had grabbed her hand once more and pulled her towards the B-deck railing.

All this climbing had made Katerina uneasy yet she wasn't going to admit it. This was a dire situation and she would not complain about her feet being sore just yet. Without any hesitation, well, maybe some slight hesitation, Katerina clambered over the railing once more and jumped from it, this time landing in a heap on the floor due to the fact that she didn't wait for Jack to help her.

If it wasn't so tragically common for Katerina to be so unlucky, she'd have been surprised that her ankle hadn't of twisted when she landed. Yet, Katerina being Katerina with the most unluckiest luck luck could manage to bring, Katerina felt her ankle throb in pain as Jack landed next to her.

"Are you alright?" Jack quickly asked in a rushed voice, dropping beside her. "Mhm," Katerina hummed, somehow feeling a tange bit of guilt for not using proper words to answer like her mother always scolded her to, but as she looked up at Jack with a small smile, her thoughts had immediately cleared and she was back in reality.

A very tragic reality.

Although she had always known it, it was at this moment that Katerina was certain: her daydreams were better than reality, and right now she wanted nothing more than for those daydreams to come true, but she knew that that was far from happening.