20|chapter 20

⭒❃.✮:▹ 𝗥𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝘀𝗵? ◃:✮.❃⭒

"𝘚𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘸𝘦, 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴?"

"𝘚𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘸𝘦, 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴?"

-ˋˏ ༻✿༺ ˎˊ-

Katerina looked out into the distance, her loose brown curls blowing behind her shoulder in the breeze, tangling together with the wind. A carefree smile lay on her face, her eyes set on the waves that crashed beneath her on the boulder she was standing on.

Her body was wrapped in a light blue summer dress, white laced embroidery at the hems, small flowers and patterns decorating the simple fabric. As a fresh wave came in, Katerina glanced to her left, seeing a couple scream at the touch of the cold, grabbing the tattered picnic blanket they were sitting on off the sand and clutching onto each other as the water rushed over their bare toes.

The two laughed, joy in their eyes, big grins covering their faces. Katerina's small relaxed smile turned upward a little more, watching as the man and woman started to venture further up the beach so they could place down their blanket once more.

It was a little after noon in the small village in Sicily, yet the beaches were still packed as if time was just a concept of the mind, a figment of ones imagination. Small shops and restaurants and stalls littered the edge of the coastline, welcoming tourists and visitors in with open arms.

Katerina glanced to her side, her hand coming up to brush a small lock of stranded hair behind her ear, pushing the flower crown she had bought from one of the men selling bouquets and other flower-made objects back up further on her head. A sigh left her lips as she heard the clear of a throat, making it her cue to turn around.

Her arms crossed as she peeked behind her shoulder at the mess of blond that sat on one of the rocks, an open sketchbook in his lap, a pencil in his right hand. "I told you not to move." He shook his head, a small grin playing at his lips. Katerina rolled her eyes playfully, shrugging her shoulders before spinning around fully on the balls of her feet to face the man.

"If I hadn't of moved that piece of hair, you would've had to start all over." She shrugged effortlessly, a smile curling at the edges of her lips. "Well it's a good thing I already finished then, huh?"

Katerina wasted no time to rush over to the rocks, sitting an inch behind the boy, peeking over his shoulder to look at the sketch of herself, standing on a rock looking out into the vast ocean. Although it was all grey and sandy from the paper and pencil, it felt more real than the moment she was sharing with him right now.

"I had to work with what I was given so I'm sorry if it doesn't live up to the quarter you paid me." Katerina nudged the boy's shoulder, shaking her head as a small laugh emitted from her lips. "Would it be better if I hadn't of paid you?"

"That's not up to me really, it's all in the hand." Jack waved his right hand around and around, the pencil he used to sketch with still tucked tightly between his fingers. "It's beautiful, Jack." She smiled, her eyes staring at the page in awe, fingers slowly coming up to trace along the small outline of the sketched body.

"I'm glad you like it." He smiled, his head turning to meet the side of her face, watching how intently Katerina's lips parted every time the pads of her fingers touched the smooth paper, how a smile appeared on her lips every time her eyes met the detailed fabric of the dress she was wearing in the sketch.

She looked to her side, her nose brushing past Jack's only slightly, her smile growing. "It's beautiful," she repeated, her voice a small whisper this time, lips brushing past each other until the two pairs were fully connected. They moved in unison like the waves that would slowly drift towards them with every minute that ticked by, washing over their bare feet.

Katerina pulled away, her head burying in the crook of Jack's neck as she looked out onto the ocean.

It had been three years since that night: the night no one would surely ever forget. Katerina and Jack, fighting for their lives, unaware that either of them were trying to make it out alive for each other. The reunion on the ship was just a pure coincidence, so was their first ever meeting on the titanic. No one knew that anything like that would happen, the unsinkable ship drowning to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, taking many souls with it.

Katerina hadn't seen Cal or her mother in three years, her thoughts of the two only pushing to the surface of her mind when her insomnia kicked in in the early mornings of the day. She had seen articles, magazines of her ex fiancée through shop windows wherever she and Jack went: Portugal, Barcelona, New Zealand.

He had gotten a new wife, one that almost looked the same as Katerina (at least that's what Jack had said). Cal looked happy, and Katerina was glad he was, including the woman who too, looked rather pleased. She wasn't wearing the face of the smile Katerina would always throw on the minute someone snapped a picture of the two of them together: it was genuine. Maybe she had taught Cal a lesson. That being an abusive prick wasn't the way to get someone to marry you.

As for Katerina's mother? Well, she wasn't in any magazines or newspapers. Due to Katerina and her refusal to marry Cal, her mother no longer had a guarantee on the money that would've came with the marriage. In all honesty, Katerina didn't know where her mother was or what had happened to her. She only hoped Cal had at least had the decency to make sure she was alright before he himself left her on her own.

With the small help of a certain pendant that Cal had accidentally left in his coat pocket before giving it to Katerina on that fateful night, she had managed to sell it, getting millions of dollars in return, letting her and Jack travel the world like they had planned. It was only when they reached Sicily that Katerina had decided to stay, seeing how kind the villagers were and how beautiful Italy actually was.

They had spent every day at the beach, yet Katerina had only one thing on her mind since finally arriving at the familiar paradise she hadn't gone to since she was five. The brunette let her head travel up from Jack's shoulder, turning to him once she had sat up straight. "I'm a bit peckish, actually. Would you mind if we left early?" She asked with a small questionable smile that Jack only returned with a soft, caring grin.

"'Course not. I actually had something in mind for lunch."

"Oh?"

"How would you feel about trying fish and chips?" Jack glanced up at the sky for a quick moment before looking back down to an ecstatic Katerina.

"You remember our conversation from..." She trailed off, not wanting to let bad memories influence her and bring her back to such a depressing time. "Yeah, I do," Jack nodded, closing his sketchbook before standing up, tucking it under his arm and holding his other free hand to Katerina. "Shall we, miss?"

Katerina's cheeks flushed a rosy pink as she took his hand in hers, letting Jack pull her up. This was the life she had imagined for herself, the life herfather had imagined for her. The fancy parties, expensive wedding receptions, first class tickets to random cities was just a big facade that peope played to 'fit in.' The facade that Ruth Rose Kenneth wanted to be apart of.

But now, Katerina had let it all go, and although it hurt, she knew it was the best thing she had ever done.

She had Jack now.
She was content.

"It would be my pleasure Mr Dawson."

⭒❃.✮:▹𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐒 !◃:✮.❃⭒
gonna cry brb
I'm not going to add too much to this A/N because there's gonna be a whole other page where I'll say what I want to say but-

thoughts?
I know it was a short chapter but there wasn't much else to put, think of it as a small filler :)