Chapter 2: AN ODD LOOK

Ginnie slid out of the saddle, threw Calliope’s reins around the antique iron horse-head hitching post next to the farmhouse, and dashed up the four concrete stairs onto the porch, before rushing to the back of the farmhouse. Her great-uncle slid off the kitchen stool, where he was sorting eggs into various sized cartons, and towered above her. “What’s wrong?”

“Tillie and I almost ran into Miss Amanda’s car with the horses when she turned down the lane.” Ginnie panted while snatching an ice tray from the freezer. She pulled a glass out of the cupboard.

Uncle Ben’s blue-gray eyes widened. “Did anybody get hurt?”

“No, sir, but Mrs. MacGregor was there. She wasn’t hurt, but she’s kinda mad. She wants to talk to you.”

“I’m sure she has a lot to say.” Uncle Ben hurried toward the front of the farmhouse.

Ginnie filled the glass and followed him out the front door. She took the water to her dad. “How is she?”

“She’s okay.” He handed Tillie’s mom the water. “Amanda, sip slowly.”

Tillie twirled her long brown hair quickly around her finger. “M-Mom? You okay?”

“She’ll be fine.” Dad hugged Tillie. “She just had a scare.” Tillie nodded, twirling slower.

Dad locked his eyes on Ginnie’s. “Put Calliope up. There’s been enough racing for today… and stable Traxx here for now. You guys can return him to Austin later.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Come on in. Dinner’s about ready.” Dad offered Miss Amanda his arm. “Uncle Ben had planned to invite you before all the drama.” She took it and let Dad lead her to the porch.

Ginnie searched for her great-uncle while walking toward Toran, who held both horses’ reins. Uncle Ben stood next to the burgundy car. The anger in Mrs. MacGregor’s face softened until she giggled like a silly girl with a crush on some boy at school, only the boy was Uncle Ben.

Ginnie laughed, then turned to her brother. “Toran, what happened with Miss Amanda?”

“She stumbled.” Toran offered Ginnie Calliope’s reins. “And Dad caught her.”

Ginnie whistled. “I guess seeing two horses coming straight at you would freak anybody out.”

Her twin shook his head. “Something else was wrong with her. She’d been crying—long before that. Her eyes were very red.”

Toran’s observations never ceased to amaze her. Toran didn’t talk much, but his brain worked constantly, watching and analyzing the world around him.

~~~~@~~~~

Uncle Ben gave Mrs. MacGregor free eggs and milk as compensation for her worry. She left, promising to return soon. Ginnie rolled her eyes at the news and walked with Tillie to the family room at the back of the farmhouse.

“Wouldn’t it be awful if Uncle Ben actually fell in love with Mrs. MacGregor?” Tillie said with a grimace and then plucked a jelly bean from the candy dish. She sat on the dark plum couch. “What if he married her?”

Ginnie dropped next to her and sank into the cool leather cushion, shuddering at the thought. “Ewww!” She mimicked Mrs. MacGregor’s accent. “Meh new name would be ‘that one’ and I’d have to move into the barn.”

Tillie giggled. “Thankfully, she wouldn’t be your step-mom, just your dad’s. Or technically his step-aunt. Or does it matter?”

Ginnie shrugged and reached for a jelly bean.

Tillie tapped her cheek. “Or is anybody Uncle Ben married to just your dad’s aunt no matter what? Since Uncle Ben is your grandpa’s brother?” Tillie snitched another jelly bean and shook her head. “Yikes, your family tree sure is complicated.”

“Oh, it matters. Uncle Ben and Aunt Sadie raised Daddy and Uncle Jake when Grandpa and Grandma died. Anybody else would just be Uncle Ben’s wife.” Ginnie shook her head. “But I don’t see him getting married again. I don’t even remember Aunt Sadie, but she’s here.” Ginnie nodded to the surrounding walls.

“Violets were her favorite flower, purple her favorite color, and goats her favorite animal, though I can’t imagine why." Ginnie wrinkled her nose. "Ornery things.”

Throughout the entire farmhouse goats, violets, or shades of purple could be found perched, draped, decorated, painted, or needle worked on pillows, paintings, pots, and portraits. Plates, assorted tins and wooden plaques tole-painted with images of goats, and/or violets, hung on the walls.

Whenever Ginnie discovered a new goat or violet-themed decoration, she always thought it was Aunt Sadie’s way of saying she still looked out for her family. Sometimes she wished her own mother had left such treasures behind, but the farmhouse had been Aunt Sadie’s home, not Mama’s. If Mama had anything like that, Ginnie had no idea where it would be.

“I wonder why she liked goats and violets. That seems like a strange combination,” Tillie mused.

Ginnie shrugged. “I think she started collecting violets after Vi was born. But I’m not sure why she liked goats, especially Gertrude. She’s just mean.”

Recalling the last time she milked Uncle Ben’s goat, Ginnie scowled. Gertrude had stepped on her foot and kicked the bucket over. On purpose, Ginnie was sure of it. “I wish Uncle Ben would get rid of Gertrude.” Ginnie giggled and then lowered her voice. “Then Mrs. MacGregor would have one less reason to come over.”

Dad entered the room from the kitchen, laughing. “She’s here to stay. At least until Uncle Ben gets tired of her, and I don’t see that happening any time soon.”

Ginnie turned toward him and teased. “Are you talking about Mrs. MacGregor or Gertrude now?”

“Very funny.” He tweaked her nose. “By the way, from now on, you guys can only race from the road to the farmhouse, understood?”

Anxiety spiked in Ginnie's belly. “Are we in trouble?”

“No.” He rubbed a gentle thumb on Ginnie’s cheek. “But I nearly had a heart attack, and poor Amanda’s pretty shook up. How’s about you two set the table for dinner?” He waited for a nod and then went into the kitchen.

Tillie whispered to Ginnie. “Your dad doesn’t have a girlfriend. He should date.”

Ginnie laughed. “Are you kidding? Who would he date? He only goes to work, home, and church.”

An odd look swept Tillie’s face. She jumped to her feet. “Never mind! Let’s set the table.”

She marched off without a backward glance, leaving Ginnie to wonder: What’s up with her?

(Please stay tuned. Chapter 3 will post on Friday :) )