Chapter 7: KITTENS

Ginnie, Tillie, and Toran hammed for the camera as Uncle Ben snapped a few pictures of the kids with the kittens.

Toran loved taking pictures. He convinced Uncle Ben to let him use Aunt Sadie’s camera to take a couple of pictures with Ginnie and Tillie. Toran motioned for the three of them to scoot closer together.

“Your mama was quite the shutterbug,” Uncle Ben said. “You favor her like that.”

Toran smiled. “Really?”

Ginnie didn’t know that about her mother.

Uncle Ben nodded. “She took lots of pictures. You two were her favorite models—you and Eternal Love.”

How do I favor her? Ginnie held her breath and prayed Uncle Ben would read her mind.

He came close. “You could be her twin. You look more like her all the time.”

Pleasure and disappointment battled each other as bubbles whirled inside. I want to hear something NEW. I already know I look like Mama.

“I’m going to make lunch.” Uncle Ben slipped the camera in his front jean pocket. “How hungry are you guys?”

Very!” Toran and Tillie chorused together.

What about Mama? Ginnie swallowed, unable to speak. Tell me something NEW.

“What are you going to name the kittens?” Tillie asked.

“The one that keeps sneezing is Pepper, the calico is Gingersnap, and the white one is Mouse.”

“Mouse?” Tillie brushed the tiny kitten. “That’s an interesting name for a cat.”

Toran shrugged. “He looks like a mouse.”

Tillie giggled, gluing her eyes on Toran’s face.

Ginnie stared at her twin. His dark blues eyes and short platinum blond curls made him more of a twin to Dad than to her. And his personality was quieter, like Tillie’s.

Most definitely. We must’ve been paired on ‘Opposite Day’ in Heaven.