Chapter 4: TILLIE'S WISH

Tillie sat in the front seat of her mom’s silver-blue sedan, staring out the windshield, barely aware of the maple trees flying by.

I can’t believe Ginnie didn’t think about her dad dating my mom. We’ve talked about being sisters a million times. Why can’t we be sisters for real? Her mom’s dead and Jasper’s … well … Jasper’s gone. Thank goodness.

Jasper was Tillie’s father. The nicest thing he ever did was leave almost six years ago. Tillie glanced at her mom’s auburn hair blowing in the breeze from the open window. I wish she’d given me her curls instead of getting Jasper’s icky mouse-brown, stick-straight hair. But we all have blue eyes, so at least Ginnie and I look a little like sisters.

“What’s wrong? You’re awfully quiet.”

“Nothing.” Tillie faced the passenger window, her cheeks warming.

Shortly before her sixth birthday, Jasper had disappeared for good. Back then, Tillie still missed him.

Not anymore. Jasper left. Tillie moved on and found a new dad. Ginnie’s dad. She called him D.T.—but only in her mind. D.T. stood for Daddy Todd. She told Ginnie everything, except about her secret dream to be adopted by D.T.  That was her very own secret.

Tillie recalled the time she and Ginnie had been playing at the farm and Tillie had skinned her knee. Ginnie’s dad had picked her up and rocked her on the front porch swing. D.T. had been kind. Tillie had believed him when he told her that everything would be fine. He said she was a special girl and that it was okay to cry.

With Jasper, it was never okay to cry. It was only okay to be invisible.

Mom turned into their parking spot and stopped. “Well?”

Tillie shrugged and forced a smile to her lips. “Just thinking.”

“About what?”

“Nothing.” Tillie mustered her most innocent look and changed the subject. “Mom, do you think I could have a horse?”

Mom smiled. “Where would we put it? We only have two bedrooms.”

“Very funny.” Tillie threw her mom a cheesy grin. “I bet Uncle Ben would let me stable it with Calliope. They have lots of stalls.” Tillie opened her door.

Mom got out and shut hers. “I’m sure he would, but I can’t afford to buy a horse and feed it.” She straightened her shoulders and smiled too brightly. “Let’s make some brownies.”

Tillie followed Mom to the stairwell by their apartment. “Calliope grazes a lot. So would my horse. Grass is free.”

“I know. But we’d still have to buy hay and oats.” Mom hugged her. “I wanted a horse when I was your age, but I didn’t even have a friend with one. Think of something more reasonable and I’ll see what I can do for your birthday.”

“Sure.” Tillie walked to the kitchen. She knew asking for a horse was a long shot, but it also kept her  mind off Jasper.

In the kitchen, Tillie got out some eggs, oil, and brownie mix and started adding the ingredients. She carried the bowl to the table and sat next to Mom.

 “Any thoughts for your birthday, honey?”

Tillie stirred the brownie mix. “Maybe a trip to the mall for a new outfit? Or the movies?”

Mom set her pencil down and looked Tillie in the eye. “You’re going to be twelve. That’s special. How about a party at Quincy’s Pizza Palace?”

“Mom, babies go there for parties.” Tillie squelched the urge to roll her eyes. “A new outfit and spending the day with Ginnie is fine. We can do lunch and get chocolate cheesecake.”

“You’re always with Ginnie.” Mom patted her hand. “Of course we’ll include her, but what about a real party, with other kids too?”

“Fine, we’ll invite Toran and Austin.”

Mom sighed. “Tillie, there is life outside the farm. Broaden your horizon a little. Let’s invite your friends from school as well.” Mom picked up the pencil. “We can send the boys home after games, cake, and pizza. Then the girls can spend the night and do hair and makeup. We can watch a fun movie and make banana splits.”

The thought of having a bunch of girls over made Tillie queasy. “I don’t need a big party. I like hanging out with just Ginnie and Toran … and Austin. Uncle Jake calls us the Four Musketeers for a reason. We don’t need anybody else.”

“Matilda Grace, I know you don’t like people to fuss over you, but it’s your birthday. I want to celebrate you with your friends.”

Tillie groaned. “Mom, I don’t want a big party. Just take Ginnie and me shopping. Please? That’s good enough.”

She shook her head. “What twelve year-old doesn’t want a real party?”

The kind of twelve-year-old who likes being invisible so people don’t ask you questions you don’t want to answer. Tillie smiled. “Mom, it’s my birthday. I like being with the Four Musketeers. I think that would be fun.”

I want you to marry Ginnie’s dad–that’s what I really wish for my birthday, Ginnie and I’ve talked about being sisters a million times. That’s what I want … to be sisters, only for real.

(Please stay tuned for CH 5)