Chapter 8: OPERATION 'SECRET SISTERS'

After lunch, Ginnie and Tillie stretched out on opposite ends of the hammock with large glasses of lemonade. The humidity was almost bearable in the shade. The small flock of five white ducks that lived on the farm played nearby in the brook. 

Tillie sat upright. “So, how are we going to get your dad to take us to the mall?”

“For what?”

“How could you forget?” Tillie wagged an annoyed finger. “Remember? … so Mom and he can start dating?”

“Calm your pickles, Til.” Ginnie leaned forward. “I remember now.”

“Don’t you want to be sisters?” Tillie grabbed Ginnie’s wrist and shook it. “It’ll be fun. We can have a slumber party every night. We can share our clothes and when you get grounded, it won’t matter, because I’ll be your sister and not just your friend.”

Ginnie’s hand flew to her hip. “Hey! I don’t get in trouble that much.”

“Yes, you do.” Tillie frowned. “It doesn’t matter to you; you have Toran. When I can’t come over ‘cause you’re in trouble, I get really lonely. If we’re sisters, it won’t matter. I’ll still be here.”

Ginnie smirked. “You’re exaggerating.”

“No, I’m not.” Tillie tugged the hem of Ginnie’s jeans. “This idea just keeps getting better. Let’s come up with a code name.” Her voice almost sang with excitement.

“Now you’re just being silly.”

“No, I’m not.” A hurt look crossed her friend’s face. “You wanted a code name for talking your dad into a bigger allowance. This is more important.”

“Okay. Good point.” Ginnie took a sip of lemonade.

“It’ll be our new mission.” A wide smile lit Tillie’s lips. “Think of something.”

Ginnie tapped her chin. “Like Operation: Parent Trap?”

“Naw. Sounds like a movie. Anything else?”

“How’s about ‘Operation: Secret Sisters?’ ‘OSS’ for short.”

“I like it. And let’s be the ‘Secret Sisters Club’, since we already have a clubhouse.” Tillie hugged her quickly, spilling their drinks a little. “Oops, sorry. Okay, we have a name. I have a plan. We just need to get your dad to the mall.”

“Help me clean the hen house, I mean our CLUBhouse. He’s a sucker for a barter. If we do a good job, he’ll take us.”

“Couldn’t we just ask ‘pretty please’?”

You started this. My chores are just something else to share.” Ginnie grinned. “Are you still in… Sis?”

“Of course, duh.” Tillie toggled her head. “I don’t mind doing chores. I’m just enjoying the shade. The hen house is hot.”

“Then it’s settled. He’ll make me do it anyway, so we ought to get a trip to the mall out of it.” Ginnie slid off the hammock. “It’ll go twice as fast with you. And the mall has air conditioning.”

“I’m in.” Tillie stood and smiled, then shook her head, teasing. “The things I do for my sister.”

Ginnie grinned and put a hand out.

Tillie topped it with hers.

“One, two, three. Operation: Secret Sisters. Go team!”