Chapter 3: I DON'T DO CRAZY STUNTS

Miss Amanda still seemed tense after dinner. When Uncle Ben stood, she asked to speak to him in the study. Then she looked at Tillie. “I’ll just be a minute, so don’t go far.”

Tillie nodded. “Sure, Mom.”

“We have to take Traxx back before dark,” Toran said.

Dad looked like he wanted to say ‘no’, but gave a slow nod. “Be careful.”

“Of course.” Ginnie willed herself not to roll her eyes at her dad’s overprotectiveness. She tapped Tillie’s hand. “Walk with us to get the horses.”

Tillie followed them out the door, hanging back.

“Why’re you mad?” Ginnie asked.

“I’m not.” Tillie glanced shyly toward Toran.

“Oh.” Ginnie nodded her understanding. “Good. Let’s swim in the creek tomorrow. It’s been so hot.”

“Good idea, my swimsuit’s still here from last time.”

They raced up the hill to the main barn. Ginnie let Toran win.

“I think half your stuff is already here.” Toran grinned at Tillie and  unlocked Traxx’s stall. “You practically live here.”

Tillie’s mouth dropped open. “I can’t help it if Mom works.”

“I didn’t mean that as a bad thing.” Toran arched his eyebrows at Ginnie and then chuckled. “You’re like a sister who actually knows how to behave. You keep Ginnie out of trouble and that keeps the peace.”

“Hey!” Ginnie protested.

Tillie giggled. She smiled, but didn’t quite meet Toran’s gaze.

Toran returned her smile and reached for Traxx’s halter. “Let’s get you home, boy.”

Ginnie saddled her horse and caught up to them outside the barn. She mounted Calliope and offered Tillie a hand up. “We can ride around here ‘til your mom is ready to go.”

“Cool.” Tillie stepped on a hay bale and jumped up behind Ginnie. She wrapped her arms around Ginnie’s waist. “If we were sisters, maybe Mom would buy me my own horse and we could race all the time. I might even beat you once in a while.”

“Maybe, but Calliope likes to win.”

“And you don’t?” Tillie teased. She pointed at the porch and gave a low whistle. “Uncle Jake’s looking sweet.”

Dad’s older brother tipped his black Stetson to them while he danced a jazzy box step down the front porch stairs, his shiny black cowboy boots tapping a quick melody on the concrete sidewalk that stopped in front of Dad’s car. His boots crunched on the gravel as he neared the horses.

Toran whistled. “Let me guess. You’re going out with Miss Clarissa—again.”

Uncle Jake did a quick two-step, spun around, and grinned. “What was your first clue?”

“That goofy smile.” Ginnie tapped her finger against her chin, appraising his green dress shirt and new black slacks. “But you clean up pretty good.”

“You’re hilarious.” Uncle Jake tugged her platinum blonde braid. “Stay put while I back out, Trouble. No time for the emergency room today.”

Ginnie grinned. “Yes, sir.”

“Them are fightin’ words, young lady.”

“Yeah, yeah.” She rolled her eyes. “It’s not like you don’t say them.”