The Morning After

The morning after a big event can be draining

The morning after a big event can be draining.  Exhausting even.  So much so that you wish you could do nothing but lay in bed all day and just sleep the day away.  Unfortunately, that's not how real life works no matter how much we wish it did.  What we don't know is the after effects the morning after can leave us.  Happiness, grief, death, love. . . 

-

It was the next day and most of them, especially the interns, were still recovering from the night before.  Except for Alison.  She had to admit that she had a pretty great night overall.  She was able to meet her boyfriend's son and they spent the evening together before she left to sleep at her apartment.  Alison had discussed it with Anthony earlier and they both agreed that it wouldn't be appropriate if she spent the night at his place the first time they meet.

Alison was okay with that.  She didn't want to make it awkward for Bentley and she wanted him to feel comfortable around her.

Alison still couldn't believe what had happened the night before.  Denny.  Izzie cutting his wires.  Denny having a heart attack and dying after a successful surgery.  It was all just too much and Alison suddenly didn't want to be at the hospital where it all happened.  But she knew that she had to put on a brave face for her patients who needed her today.  

*

"Did you know about Denny?" Addison asked still shocked over what had transpired.

"I didn't know about it until after it happened," she confessed to the ped's doctor.  

"You bitch!" she gasped joking.  "Who the hell told you?"

"Bailey," she shrugged her shoulders not in the mood to talk about it today.  "What's with you today?  You look like you're in another dimensional world."

"Yeah," Addison looks out into nothing.  "You could say that it's something like that..."

Addison said nothing more not wanting to talk about what she had found from last night.  She knew that Alison knew enough about the love affair and didn't want to tell her of her feelings, knowing she got enough of it from Derek.  Because even though Alison and Addison worked together - she was ultimately Derek's best friend.  

Now Addison felt like she had no one to turn to.

"Doctor Anderson, you're wanted in room 232," the nurse told her and Alison excused herself from Addison.

"Who are you?" Addison stared at the blonde as this was Addison's first day.

"I'm Alison," she put her hand out for the new ped's doctor to shake her hand but she didn't and put it down.  "You must be Addison, Doctor Shepherd's wife, right?"

"Yeah, that's right."

"I've heard a lot about you," she smiles at the brunette, despite her standoffish behavior.