Chapter 16

"Death will search you out whenever the time is right. Trying to escape him or seek him is not worth it."

🖤🖤🖤

"So, what according to you are the latest fashions of the human world," Clotho asked out of the blue, startling me. I was in the office area of the Fates. The room was lit in bright colours, quite in contrast to the things which happened in there. I was studying a magnificent abstract painting in every shade of green, which reminded me of the tidal waves.

"I'm sorry ma'am. I was distracted." I gathered my wits and swiftly scuttled over to where she was perching on the handle of a sturdy chair.

"We have Maya coming to pay a visit in three days. We want to look better than whatever magical costume she weaves from the yarns of nature," she informed.

"Yes, ma'am. So, colourful leathers are starting a comeback and so are 90s knitwear..."

"Take me through different styles. We cannot wear any material. They have to be celestial threads straight from the stores of Kuber," she gave a haughty laugh.

"The puff sleeves are the latest fad. Or you could go with the cap sleeves," I quickly switched my sentence. Mrithun's tutorial was actually benefiting me.

"I believe you three have gorgeous figures, ma'am," I paused.

"Go on," she gestured.

"I think form-fitted dresses will suit you more. Something like ribbed turtleneck and leggings..."

"No leggings please." Atropos appeared suddenly. I almost yelped. It took me a moment to find my breath again.

"Then would you like something voluminous, Madame?" I asked, my voice overly polite.

"Suggest high neck or A-line," Mrithun, who had been silent for a long time, whispered his ideas again.

"Sweeping lengths, high collar and long sleeves with form-fitted bodice would look perfectly formal and elegant," I said excitedly.

"Could you make them of this fabric? I love the threads from the clouds, but the oceans draw me more," Clotho suggested.

"Show interest in their dresses," Mrithun instructed.

"May I see the material, ma'am?" I asked, trying to sound professional.

Atropos gestured for me to come closer. I gulped, slowly taking a step forward. My heart was chugging like a train. I could almost sense a kind of earthly heat emanating from their bodies. They smelled of the ocean, salty. I dropped on my knees in front of them, lightly running my fingers over the skirt of Clotho's sundress. It was a beautiful teal, edged with detailed patterns similar to white frothy waves. The material felt fluid under on my skin, practically as if I had my hands dipped in the sea. Little pearl embellishments dotted the hem of the dress.

"Beautiful," I breathed. "I'm sure Mr Kuber could make something better than this."

Both their eyes glinted with happiness.

"What is happening here?" The calm voice of Lachesis sounded at the doorway.

"We were just getting our dresses finalized," Atropos and Clotho chirped together.