Chapter 47

"Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream maybe which only you can see."

🖤🖤🖤

"Tora," Maya's voice made me jump out of my thoughts.

"This way," she gestured to the half ajar door.

"Let me go first." Mrithun had suddenly sprung back to life. Before Maya could say anything, he strode forward and put his palms on one pane of the door, attempting to push it open. Visible electricity crackled in the air and in a fraction of a second, Mrithun was thrown away with a force powerful enough to fry alive any mortal.

"What the heck!" he mumbled, getting up a bit dazed. He then shook himself out of the trance as if nothing happened.

"It's electrified and everyone clearly doesn't have access here. He wasn't expecting us, so there's full security in place," Maya chided.

"But then do you have access?" Lachesis asked.

"Why don't we let Tora try?" Maya winked at me.

"I..."

"No," Mrithun growled before I could say anything. "She's not your toy to experiment with."

Maya's lips twisted in a smile. "Do you trust me, Tora?" She turned to me, completely ignoring Mrithun's behaviour.

"I think..."

Mani was shaking his head vehemently.

Lachesis pursed her lips into a thin line.

Mrithun was fuming.

Maya's eyes twinkled with amusement, but there was no malice in them.

"I will try." I sighed.

Mrithun's eyes looked wild, but he didn't say anything else. I had been disregarding him at every step and he was way too proud to beg.

I shuffled to the gate slowly. I gulped before placing my hand on the door. Fear was clogging up my throat. Squeezing my eyes shut, I braced myself to be electrocuted, but nothing happened. The wood was heavy, but I managed to push it open, revealing a tastefully decorated interior.

Heavy drapes in green and gold hung on the walls. The velvet carpet was exquisite bottle green. The walls were brown, giving the whole place an earthy tone, and yet it gleamed with riches. Golden chandeliers hung from the ceiling. The shadows were still and waiting, almost as if holding their breath. Gilded armours with swords lined the wall like silent soldiers. The entire place seemed to be right out of a medieval royal court set with a touch of modernity. There was no fire, and the walls were concrete, like some kind of posh hotel.

I looked back at the others, who were all staring at me as if they had seen a ghost. All except Maya who wore an all-knowing look.

"But how did she?" Mani spoke up finally. He had just been watching this drama with rapture in his big blue eyes.

Maya gave a mysterious smile, ushering us all in.

As we walked on the plush carpets, a different kind of feeling was settling in my chest. It seemed familiar. It felt like home once again. It suddenly reminded me of the force that saved me that day. The force was like the lap of a parent, like belonging somewhere and being cared for. I had felt the same bubbling energy in the cave of Matarisvan and sometimes with Maya, a strong aura, a motherly presence.

But this was a bit different, stronger, and felt exactly like a voice calling me. Snitches of memory were forming in my head, building up anew, memories that seemed to have been erased long ago. A pair of strong arms fondling me. A sweet female voice, a soft womanly smell, and a strong man's musky scent, yet caressingly gentle.

"Tora," Mani urged. "You okay?"

I realised I had stopped moving suddenly, and my hands were shaking.

"You're having flashbacks of your past. Don't worry," Maya said kindly.

"But why?"

Lightning crackled suddenly with a loud thunderclap, blinding me temporarily.

When my vision cleared, a man was standing in front of me in a pinstriped emerald suit with the lapels gilded on the edges. A brown waistcoat peeked from beneath the coat. Underneath he was wearing a white shirt with stiff collars. Emerald studded gold cufflinks glistened on his suit. He looked like the CEO of some big company at his daughter's wedding. Salt and pepper hair in long waves framed his face, and half of his bulky moustache was white too. A paunch belly peeped out, almost threatening to tear the buttons of his suit. He looked like a king nonetheless. I realised everyone had their heads bowed except me.

And he was staring right at me. His soft brown eyes studying me intently. His eyes seemed familiar, like brown murky waters, only deeper, bordering on liquid chocolate.

"Welcome to my palace, Tora," he spoke in a gruff male voice, which oddly sounded like the voice of Santa Claus in movies.

I didn't even bother asking. Everyone there seemed to magically know my name.

"Sir, what do we do about the rebellion?" Maya spoke in a crisp, businesslike tone with no dilly dally.

"I believe you left two of the Fates behind to be handled by the mob," he said, slowly tearing his eyes away from me and focusing on her. His eyes whirled once to Lachesis who was standing still like a wet mouse.

"They are indestructible," Maya shrugged. "They should get a taste of their own arrogance and lawless behaviour.

"I know, I know," Yama sighed, gesturing us towards a set of cabriolets with brown leather seats.

He settled into the single chaise lounge in the room, facing all the sofas. All the others seemed ill at ease. Maya floated to one of them and sat down gracefully, at ease with aeons of visits.

"And what are you going do about it, Sire?" she asked smoothly, picking up a champagne flute that had appeared magically. A light pink liquid swirled in the glass.

Lachesis and Mrithun looked at each other and decided on two different seats.

"So it's about the modernisation," Yama said gruffly. His brows frowned. The glass of alcohol in front of him remained untouched.

Mani looked from one to the other and back at me, gesturing me forward. After some consideration, I settled beside Maya, and Mani scooted beside Mrithun. None of the others touched their drinks, which disappeared promptly.

"My sisters tried to replace Death," Lachesis spoke softly. I was surprised how everyone suddenly became the politest of their own natures in front of Yama. "And they were planning to replace us all. I tried to warn them..."

Yama held out a hand to silence her. I felt the silent shift of power. It was a dangerous game of dynamics. And I was caught in the midst of that immortal game. 

🖤🖤🖤

Author's Note : What do you think of the way I imagined Yama to be? What is your perception of the Lord of Death?