Chapter 36

"There's no limit to what people can do for their freedom. History has seen them fight wars and shed blood for it and they'll continue to do so for the rest of humanity."

🖤🖤🖤

"So, what do you think?" I asked Mrithun.

We had been pouring over all the data that Mrithun had gathered from his secret sources in our world. The search results for my name and date of birth showed no records of a baby born or registered into the system of any country in the mortal realm. So, either I wasn't registered, or I wasn't born in the human realm at all.

"This is no surprise, you know," Mrithun thrust his diary at me, the black leather-bound notebook that had started this entire chain of events. I pressed the hidden button, and it turned into the glowing digital tablet.

The only thing that made sense to me was my name glinting in bold purple letters on the screen. The rest of it was filled with scribbles in a language I didn't understand.

"What is this language?" I squinted at the screen.

"It's the most ancient language, the language from which all the Vedic scripts descended. The secret codes we use to communicate are in this language," he explained.

"Yes, you used a code when Holika asked," I mused. "Mata...Matari..."

"Matarisvan," Mrithun corrected.

"Yes, what is it?"

"It's the name of an ancient Vedic firebird. Matarisvan is a legend, almost like the phoenix of the western civilization. All the people present here have somehow escaped from death, almost like a phoenix being reborn from the ashes. So that's the code we use," he explained in one breath, his hand still on his forehead and the crease almost a permanent ornament now.

"So, Matarisvan exists?" I asked, my interest perking up.

"Some say it does, others say it's a legend. If Matarisvan exists, it is dangerous and untamed. It'll destroy this little civilization of Pataal Lok."

"So, Matarisvan can't be tamed?" I was surprised.

"No one has ever tried because no one knows where Matarisvan is. Some say it escaped to heaven and stays there in the protection of the Gods now. Some claim it's sleeping peacefully in some underworld volcano lying dormant." He shrugged. "But Matarisvan is the least of our worries right now."

"Oh, right!" I snapped back into reality and my mental images of Matarisvan vanished with a pop. "What were you showing me?"

"The date of your birth according to your earlier palm print, doesn't match the date your parents have informed you," he informed.

"Yes, I'm not surprised," I sighed. "My whole life kind of feels like a lie now. Who am I?"

"That's the answer we need to find," he mumbled. "Mani is trying his best to gather information, but right now with the rebellion and workers refusing to work, it is a big chaos."

"Did they find out that we...you know..." My voice trembled.

"Yes, they have not launched a search for us yet, but they have set up the radars. We should stay out of their eyes."

"So stay in here?"

"Yeah." He avoided looking at me.

"For how long?" I asked the question I've been dreading.

"I don't know." Mrithun's voice was almost a whisper.

In the quest for saving me, even he had given up his freedom. That was a huge sacrifice, and the more I thought about it, the more selfish I felt.