Chapter 3 - Bernie's Interview

For your next day of school, you head to the Yearbook classroom where JFK sits on a desk, tossing a pencil in the air and catching it. He beams at you when he sees you. "Well, hello again, y/n. You managed to get any interviews done yesterday?"

You give an apologetic smile. "I tried to, and I got some of Barack's done, but I didn't finish."

"Oh well. You have about three weeks to do so, up until homecoming."

"Homecoming?"

"Yep, it's super fun. You'll love it, I'm sure. But first, you've got to worry about getting those interviews on my desk."

"I'm on it."

"Who are you hoping to tackle today? Besides me, of course."

You pause, taken aback by his comment, and he laughs. "Too soon?"

Heat runs down your face. You don't even know how to respond to that. "Um, er, about what you asked, I was hoping to interview Bernard today."

"Ah, Bernie. He'll be at track this morning, so I'll send you off. You have fun, but not too much."

You nod and hurry out of the classroom with your equipment. You move through the halls as Abraham Lincoln slides next to you with a yawn. "Working so early?"

"Yeah, I don't run on your clock, y'know."

"You've been getting a lot meaner lately. Is this about me being...?"

"Being?"

"I don't want to say it, because then you'll think it." He sighs at your annoyed expression. "Fine, racist."

"For the most part, yeah."

"Why? Everyone is racist! It's normal."

"This isn't the 1800s. And no, being racist should most definitely not be normal."

He huffs. "You're really gonna try and social justice warrior me?"

"Oh? So you know what that is, but you still think racism is okay?"

He presses his lips together. "Anyway... who are you interviewing today?"

"Bernard Sanders."

"Agh, another social justice warrior. You two will just be made for each other."

You stop and cross your arms in front of your chest. "You said you were here to help me, not to complain all the time."

"I'm trying to change, y/n! You try being assassinated at such an entertaining show only to become a ghost instead of going to heaven, which I most definitely belong in, and then the only person able to see you is a nagging teenager!"

That almost garnered sympathy from you. You pinch the bridge of your nose. "Okay. You have to promise you're going to try and change, and you won't dismiss my criticism."

"You're kidding, right?"

You stare at him until a frown forms on his face. "This is for real then. Okay, fine then. I'll attempt to improve, even though there's no point, considering you're the only person who's going to care."

"Good, I'll ignore that monologue at the end."

He mutters under his breath as you continue through the school. You make it to the double doors and push it open, seeing a stadium with a track and football field in the distance. For early in the morning, it's pretty full. You hope you'll be able to find Bernie.

You also notice a small bundle of gray clouds in the sky, but you're sure you'll be fine.

You make it onto the track and see a few people running on it. You thankfully see a coach over there and head over to him. "Hi, is Bernard Sanders here?"