Chapter 12 - Meeting up with Barack

You barely got any sleep last night, and it wasn't just because of your mounting assignments. JFK was obviously still on your mind, and Lincoln's discreet warnings. You didn't even know what to do with yourself now.

You head into Yearbook for first period, and JFK gives you a small smile that makes your heart flutter. But it seems he's giving you some space for now, but it was still polarizing being in the same room as him.

You sit down and get started on editing the dialogue and text from the interviews. You remember you have to redo Barack's and Bernie's, and you'll have to get to that somehow. 

Later on in the day, you're strolling the halls during your off period when you run into Barack. He smiles at you. "Hey, y/n, it's been a while."

"Yeah, I'm actually glad I ran into you. We should probably actually finish the interview."

"Sure, sure. I was going to walk down the street and grab lunch real quick, you wanna come with me?"

Your stomach grumbles in response, and you give him a sheepish smile. It was better than eating lunch in the hallway alone or with Abraham Lincoln muttering in your presence. "Yeah, I'll come along."

You walk alongside him down the emptying hallway. "Sorry for not getting back to you sooner," you say.

"It's all good. I've been a little busy, too. We just won a tournament last week."

"Really? That's cool. I'm sure you were just phenomenal."

He shrugs. "I was alright. Jong-un still got more shots than me, as always."

"Then how come he isn't captain?"

"He just prefers to be more reclusive, I guess. It doesn't mean he isn't a stellar teammate."

"And a stellar baker."

He raises an eyebrow at you. "Baker? He bakes?"

"Yeah, you don't know?"

"I can't say I do, but I'm sure he's great. He excels at a lot of things." He tosses you a grin. "I'm sure you do, too."

"Meh, I could be better at things."

"You weren't too bad on the court last time we played. The basketball teams are always looking for players."

You laugh. "Don't even try to broach that idea."

He laughs as well. "My apologies, I didn't know it was such a sensitive subject for you."

"No, I just prefer not to be embarrassed."

He pulls the door open for you as you step out of the school, a light breeze falling over you. It's very nice outside for early autumn, and you wouldn't have noticed, seeing as you don't go out much.

Barack walks alongside you away from the school. "So what kind of food do you like?"

"Anything, to be honest. I'm just desperate for anything, really." Your eyes widen, and you let out a cough, choking on your words. "Of course, in context to food."

He chuckles. "Got it."

"But, uh, what kind of food do you like?"

"Lot's of things. Chili, broccoli, and pizza. Oh, I love pizza. St. Louis style deep dish pizza has always been my favorite."

"Really? I didn't even know St. Louis had a style like that."

"Well then it'd be my finest honor to introduce you to it."

You smile. "I'm in."

You walk with him down the parking lot and pause in front of a road. You stare at the cars passing by in anxiety. Barack notices your expression and gives you an encouraging smile. "You alright?"