Chapter 10 - Vladimir's Interview

You slumped on a couch during your off period, feeling so very, very tired. You couldn't deny that all this staying after school and coming in early had taken a toll on you, and it'd also made it difficult to maintain your grades. But soon all this would be over with the last name on your list.

You groan as you remembered you still had to do JFK's and redo Barack's and Bernie's. But there were times when you could allow yourself to wallow in your success rather than your failures.

"Great afternoon, y/n. You look quite uppity today." He pauses, a horrified expression crossing his face. "Did you know that word has racist origins?"

"No, I didn't. Thanks for telling me."

"Anytime, y/n. I find myself to be very enlightened now. I think I should check out that Mechanical Pencil guy's crystal work."

You raise an eyebrow. "I don't think that's necessary."

"Oh, but it is. In order to reach maximum intelligence I must illuminate myself across multiple echelons. Just like Montesquieu said, 'Nicki on them titties when I sign it. How these--"

"Lincoln, stop!"

"What? I was just sharing my knowledge." He rolls his eyes. "Now you're trying to censor me? Talk about the tolerant left."

You sigh. "You're hopeless."

"Me? Hopeless? I'm a lot of things, but hopeless is not one of them. You're simply projecting on me. What are you even doing right now?"

"I'm just taking a break."

"From nothing of course. Who's left on your little list?"

"Vladimir Putin and JFK."

"And then the ones you screwed up, right?"

You glower at him. "Yeah, those too."

"Hm, good job, I suppose. You're a bit friendly with all of them, aren't you?'

"I wouldn't say that."

He sighs, shaking his head. "I know the space time continuum very well, and I'm suggesting you tread lightly. If I'm being honest, it might be too late for that."

"What do you mean?"

"I shouldn't say anything more, lest I ruin everything, but just be prepared for decisions in the future. Aquarius is moving in soon."

"Huh?" You don't like his cryptic talk, it's making you nervous.

"Just... follow your heart, I suppose. And try to be decisive."

"Lincoln, what are you talking about?"

He shakes his head again. "I've... I've got to go."

"Lincoln!" you shout. He disappears from your sight. You see a few people in the library with their eyes on you. You give a sheepish smile. "Sorry."

What did all that mean? You were used to Lincoln's oblivious bigotry, but giving you a cryptic message and just disappearing? You try to shake it off, but it still looms in your thoughts. He'll be back soon, you're sure, and he'll explain himself. Just ignore it.

You try to get started on a few of your assignments, but it's truly impossible for you to focus and get anything done. Just as long as you weren't failing, it was fine.

You get through the day, and after your last period, you run into JFK who's holding a camera. He appeared a bit nonplussed when he noticed you. "Oh, hey, y/n. What are you up to? You're just heading home or what? Personally, I had some photos to take for Yearbook as always, and I'm just making sure I got them in."