Chapter 21 - The Decision

You're spending your off period outside, watching the leaves on the trees flow back and forth. It reminded you a lot of your own mind of how you couldn't seem to agree with any of your thoughts. And all of them had to do with Homecoming.

Barack, Bernie, Hillary, Emmanuel, Joe, JFK, Justin, Kamala, Jong-un, Vladimir. How did you get into this mess? Your first mistake was probably being born.

You had to pick one, didn't you? And that meant the rest would definitely be disappointed in you. You wish they could just see what a fraud you were and all revoke their invitations. And then you could spend your Saturday crying or something. Alas, you didn't have that option.

But why was it so hard? All of them, you felt something for. How were you supposed to pick between 10 people? This was a solution you didn't think you'd be ready to ever reach.

"Y/n?"

You turn to see Lincoln step over to your table and take a seat. "What's going on? Where's your signature insolence?"

You sigh. "Not here today, sorry. If that's what you're looking for, then you should go."

He shakes his head. "I'm not leaving when you need me, y/n."

When have you ever needed Lincoln? But you just decide it's not worth arguing with him. You're not in the mood. Silence fills the air for a while before he lets out a breath. "This is about Homecoming, isn't it?"

"Well, what else could it be?"

"I don't know, maybe a debate over the validity of free will." He sighs when you don't react to that. "Look, y/n, I've watched a hopeless little student become a little less hopeless in front of me. And in that time, I managed to learn that maybe I, too, needed to improve myself. You just seem to have that effect on people.

"And so I don't want you to go crazy over this decision. Follow your heart, that's most important. We all die in the end, it just matters how we get there. And down the road, believe me when I say you'll look back at this and laugh. In the end, you'll be happy."

You chew on the inside of your cheek, taking in his words. He was right. This was your choice, and you would enjoy whoever you took with you. "But what if I regret what I chose? What if I could have made a better decision?"

"Well, if that was possible, I wouldn't be a ghost right now." He gives you a smile. "Believe in yourself."

You take a deep breath, nodding, a new determination in your mind. "Okay. I'm ready."

"Then make your choice."

You stand, the person's name appearing in your mind...