👑6

. . . .

_________________

***

   Resurrection to some people is a gift, to me, it is a curse. A curse that has left me stranded three times in one year.

Each time I resurrect, I wake up like a stranger in a new land. The only difference is that, I know everyone. Yet no one knows me. Even I, don't remember me.

I lose my house, my job, my belongings and the most important, I lose my relationships. All of it. Every time.

The first time I woke up, I made the mistake of returning to my place and I  learnt the hard way that everything about me gets erased the moment I die. My family, my friends, none of them knew who I was anymore. It was like, the entire world had forgotten me. I was dead, yet I lived.

That day, I cried and prayed to God to just take me back, but he didn't answer the prayer. When I died, he only brought back again and again. I didn't even question his existence then, my questions started when I continued having this never ending pain in my heart.

How can I suffer like this when there is suppose to be a God watching over everyone?

Perhaps, that I don't fall under the category of those privileged to be watched by God.

Or there isn't a God.

By the second accident, even I didn't remember myself anymore. I didn't know my name nor where I came from. The only thing I recognised was the pain.

The pain that haunts me till this day.

Refusing to wallow in my misfortune, I pick up myself, I head to a newspaper stand down the road, to find a job.

I could have tried speaking to Sandra and Uche, but they'll only think me, mad. They won't believe me. Pretending not to know them, will hurt even more. Staying away is the best option.

Mustering all the reserves of courage in me, I join the crowd in front of the newspaper man.

I try to squeeze my body through the crowd of unemployed men and touts to see a glimpse of the papers, but my small frame doesn't make a difference to the iron wall of bodies blocking my vision.

Looking around me in defeat, I spot a solution to my problem. "Sir, can I see that?" I call out to a man holding The Punch Newspaper to himself, a few feet away from the crowd.

The man gives me a full glare but smiles as soon as his eyes land on my face, "my color, you wun read news? Take," he says with a smile showing me all his brownish teeth.

I smile gratefully and collect the paper from him, "thank you sir," I say trying hard not to stare too long at his teeth.

"No problem, you can keep it." he says sheepishly staring into my eyes.

Not wanting to continue the discussion further, I take the newspaper and walk a few distance away from the crowded vendor and Brown-teeth man.

Sitting on the pavement, my eyes fall on the vacancy notification for the post of a receptionist at the famous Eko Hotel and Suites. The job even offers an accommodation. For once, things were going great.

Checking the change of name page, I scan for a new name.

It might come in handy.

Whisking invisible dirt's from my bottom I hurry back to the Brown-teeth man and return the newspaper to him.