two

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

"mommy!" my daughter yells as i walk inside daniel's house, she runs up to me and hugs my legs as i shut the front door, "i missed you mommy!" i could feel a soft thud on my legs as she crashed into me.

"hi baby!" i tell her, picking her up from the ground and resting her on my hip, "how was your day?" i ask her, she giggles, moving her curls out of her face with both her hands to press a kiss on my cheek.

"it was good mommy! uncle daniel gave me cupcakes!" she exclaims, my eyes immediately flip to daniel's who was leaning against the living room doorway, watching us, once eva said that he had a look of shock horror on his face.

he knew the rules.

"he did, did he?" i ask, staring at daniel with my deadly glance, she nods her head, great, getting her to go to sleep tonight was going to be hell. "alright, come on baby, let's get you into mommy's car." i mutter, putting her on the floor, "go give uncle daniel a hug."

she rushes over to my brother, hugging him goodbye before coming back to me and taking my hand. i unlock the front door, walking towards my car so i can put her in the booster seat, i shut the door and turn around to face my brother, "you fed her sugar?!" i hissed, making his cheeks grow bright red.

"it was only two cupcakes, it's not a big deal ade." he tells me, calling me by my nickname, i press my hand to my forehead taking a deep inhale.

"she's been a nightmare to put to bed and you know sugar makes her hyper, that's why i only allow it on the weekend, daniel!" i whine, tonight was going to go awful i can already picture it in my head, i wanted to get some work done but i don't think i'll be able to at this rate.

he shrugs his shoulders at me, "sorry ade." he apologizes, "here, to make it up for you i'll go help you visit pre schools tomorrow, yeah?" and i nod, that would be a great help. i would need another persons point of view.

"thank you." i tell him and he smiles.

"no biggie."

∎ ∎ ∎

i enter the pizza shop with eva on my hip, hiding her from as many people as possible, there wasn't a queue thankfully so i walk right up to the counter to order, "hey, can i have one cheese pizza to go." the cashier nods, asking for my name.

"just wait over to the side and i'll call your name when it's ready." they tell me, i nod my head, walking away from the counters.

eva was pretty worn out from whatever she did today with my brother, she had her face pressed into my shoulder, napping away, i chuckled quietly as i rubbed her back softly, at least she was sleeping for a bit now, she barely slept last night.

"cute baby." someone mumbled besides me, i didn't pay attention to see who it was before, i was just focused on getting my food and going home.

i turned around to thank them and that's when i see him.

did he not remember me? "thank you." i replied, playing it cool, maybe not, this is good.

"who's the dad?" shawn asks, and i shrug my shoulders, making sure that eva's face was covered because i know how much she resembled shawn.

"oh, he's not in her life." i tell him, and he sends a sympathetic smile.

"i'm sorry about that."