ten

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

it's been a week since the meeting and not much has changed, thankfully, shawn still comes to see eva whenever he can.

but he was heading back to los angeles tomorrow to go make more music, and i was here in toronto, dealing with my own company.

sabrina carpenter was arriving today for the photo shoots, she was becoming a miller skincare ambassador, joining two other ambassadors - kiana lede and claudia tihan.

me and alaina were already at the set where the photo shoots for my new launch was going to take place, alaina was talking to the photographer about the set up and how it's meant to look as we waited for sabrina and her agent to arrive.

eva was actually spending the day with shawn, in his apartment of course. they've been getting quite close lately and my brother wasn't able to look after her today, neither were my parents so shawn was my only alternative.

i did however tell him to update me every hour, since he was new to the whole 'looking after a child' situation. to which he agreed, of course.

"they're here." i hear alaina say, my eyes look up towards the studio entrance where a petite blonde girl was walking towards us accompanied by an older lady with dark brown hair — they were both laughing at something that the older lady had said.

"hi, i'm sabrina." she says enthusiastically, sticking her hand out to me, "i love that you asked me to become an ambassador, you have no idea how much i love your products." i shake her hand with a wide smile.

"it's true, her whole skincare line is just your products, last years fall collection." the older lady says with a beaming smile, "i'm claire, by the way." she says sticking her hand to me as well.

"hi, nice to meet you both, i'm adelaine miller." i tell them, to which they both look at each other with a laugh.

"we know who you are, you're all over the news right now!" claire says, making me raise my eyebrow, why am i all over the news? is it because of my skincare line?

"what do you mean?" i ask wearily, claire pulls her phone out to me and shows me the latest news.

shawn mendes and his new ceo girlfriend?

below the title there was two pictures — one of me and shawn in his car, and one of me entering his condo.

with eva.

"excuse me for a second." i mutter, walking away, my face white as a ghost, i immediately ring shawn who answers in a heartbeat.

"what's up?" he asks, in the background i hear a giggling eva which makes my heart swell.

"uhm, we're all over the news and there's a picture of eva circling, what do we do?" i tell him, biting the inside of my mouth.

"oh sh— i mean, rats. uhm i'll call andrew to sort this don't worry, ok!" he says quickly, ending the call before i even got a chance to speak.

well then, i turn back around to see everyone looking at me, confused. "i'm fine, everything's fine." i mutter, clapping my hands together once i put my phone into my back pocket, "let's do this, yeah?"

∎ ∎ ∎

the shoot went perfectly, sabrina was a natural in front of the camera, the photos came out perfectly and they were ready for the campaign. now all that she had to do was an instagram post sometime this week, an igtv of her doing a skincare routine with the new products and a handful of story posts advertising the products — to which she agreed to.

"alright well, it was great meeting you, i'll email you again shortly about when the campaign begins, thank you again." i tell them, with a happy smile, "i wish we could all go out to celebrate but i have to go deal with an important matter so alaina here, my assistant will take you all out to nobu, on me. yeah?"

alaina raises her eyebrow at me but once sabrina and claire look at her, her posture immediately changes and she smiles, nodding her head.

i rush out of there, getting in my car and driving straight to shawn's place, luckily there was no traffic so i got there in five minutes, i walk into the building and make my way to his condo.

he opens the door almost immediately, carrying eva on his hip, i take her from him, pressing a kiss to her forehead, "has andrew solved this?" i ask him and he shakes his head.

"i knew this was a bad idea, i should've never—" i begin rambling, my spare hand rubbing against my forehead.

"don't say that! it's neither of our faults that the paparazzi somehow got photos of us." he tells me, raising his voice slightly and i shake my head.

"no, it's my fault. listen uhm, i'm going to take eva home until this blows over." i say and he nods his head. "i'm not blaming you, in any way i just think it's better if she stays home for a while so that the photo can stop circling around."

there was a pause, "what if you come to california with me, you and eva, of course, to get away from the media here?" he suggests, i let out a laugh, shaking my head.

"oh that's funny." i tell him, still laughing, i look to face him and he wasn't laughing, he was raising an eyebrow. "shawn the paparazzi in california are worse than the ones here and you want to put my daughter in their line of sight?"

"our daughter." he reminds me, making me roll my eyes, "and yeah, now that you've said that, you've got a point. uhm, i guess i'll see you when i'm back then." he mumbles.

with that, we say our goodbyes and i rush back into my car, thankfully there was no paparazzi around.

i wish i didn't have to worry about this. everything was fine until shawn came back into our lives, why did he have to show up?

∎ ∎ ∎

"i don't know alaina, what do i do? this whole situation is a mess." i sigh, putting my head in my hands, alaina sighs with me, rubbing my arm.

"man, i have no idea. we hid eva from the public eye for three years, this is all coming as a shock to me, i don't know what we can do." she says, attempting to console me.

eva was fast asleep, tired from whatever her and shawn did today, she got home and went to bed straight after dinner, didn't even need to persuade her to fall asleep.

as soon as she was out, alaina came over and we've been here talking ever since, i'm probably on my third glass of wine, i just kept pouring them and i haven't been counting.

this was an absolute mess.