SEVENTEEN

"Let's see what you can do

"Let's see what you can do." Sir Bashful had had the soldiers clear a training ground just outside the camp by the bumbling creek. Millie had helped remove the trees and bushes with the mere touch of her hand. Ruby had tried to assist as much as she could.

Tapping into her earth element was still slightly unnerving, but the more she did it, the more it quickly became her second nature. She'd accidentally forced a chick to grow into a rooster with the mere touch and a wayward thought of, 'you guys grow so quickly'. She was sure the chick had had the fright of its life. Oopsie.

However, this had all been possible only after another Passage Ritual that involved Sir Bashful, and another session of hurl-thy-breakfast, of course. With mere three days to go, Millie hadn't wanted Ruby to waste any more time worrying about things that were out of her control. What was in her control was the ability to absorb knowledge others had gathered and mastered over many years. Unless Ruby knew of a way to slow down time and speed-master all the elements, this was the only way Millie could see Ruby ever standing a chance against Snow White.

Ripper hung by Ruby's hip as she stepped into the fight arena. Sir Bashful had deemed it the perfect sized sword for the Princess.

"En garde!" Sir Bashful warned, giving Ruby a chance to unsheathe Ripper the first time. Then he'd charged. Mighty and swift had been his first blow, a blow that Ripper had caught as Ruby engaged her knowledge of swordfight she'd absorbed from the knight. But nothing could have prepared her for how quickly and devastatingly that blow would bring her to her knees, the muscles in her arms straining, shaking—like a leaf.

"Again!" Sir Bashful had yelled, demanding Ruby get ready.

They practiced for hours until Ruby could no longer feel her arms, her legs, or even her face. As night fell, they practiced. Again and again. And again and again, Ruby was brought to her knees.

Gashes and bruises littered her skin. Her ego was in smithereens. Her soul was sore and frightened. If Sir Bashful, who could only wield one element, could bring her to her knees time and time again, imagine how easily Snow would end it all.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to defeat Snow. At this rate, the battle for the Well will be over before I can even blink." Ruby fell onto her cot like jelly plops on a plate. Hmm, jelly. What she wouldn't give to taste that sweetness again.

"You have two more days to prepare, Princess. You must tap into your essence. Sir Bashful will try his best to train you in my absence." Millie sat down on the opposite bed, still next to her granny's grave, now adorned with wildflowers and daisies thanks to Millie.

"Where are you going?" Ruby propped herself on jelly arms.

"I have some things I must do to ensure a victory, and a safeguard. I'll be gone before you wake. Queen Snow has already realised the merge has happened. She can now sense your essence, she's drawn to it. Or rather, her master is. They have already changed their course and are headed our way. Tomorrow morning, your Uncle will arrive with more of his army and she is right behind him with hers. The day after, at dawn, the horn of battle will cry. I haven't much time to waste. Neither do you."