EPILOGUE

Distant lightning lashed the moonless night air, momentarily chasing away the shadow in the dusky room, where Ruby-Rose lay on a cot—visible briefly—as short as the lightning flash

An angry clap of thunder jolted her awake from her week-long slumber.

Someone loomed from the shadow, carrying a small oil lamp about her face. The face looked a lot like —

"Millie?"

The young girl stood an arm's length from the cot. "Ah, you're awake, Princess."

"You're not Millie." Ruby pushed up straighter, eyeing the cottage.

The girl smiled. Dark ringlets framed a face that was strikingly similar to Millie's, except her eyes—they were warmer, more honey. "No, your highness, I'm not Millie. I'm her sister, Gretel."

Highness? Gretel?... Am I still at Evergreen?

Ruby tried to get to her feet, instead, doubled over as pain sheared her inside. Her injuries from the battle hadn't wholly healed yet—what with her being preoccupied with the Well to heal her body.

She fell back on the bed, exhausted and aching.

"Are you okay, your highness?" The girl stood beside the cot, peering at her with the same tanned, mousy face as her friend.

"I'm fine." Ruby grimaced, bracing her ribs gently as they finally healed.

Can't believe I'm talking to Gretel!

Despite the past weeks spent in the Enchanted Realm; despite having seen and heard the things she had, and experienced the things she had, a part of Ruby still didn't entirely believe she was living in a fairytale. Or that she battled and won against an Evil Queen—who wasn't entirely, or inherently, evil.

"Where am I? Where's Millie? Sir Bashful? What happened to Snow? The battle?" So many questions that Ruby couldn't help but ask the girl.

"We are still in the Red Forest, but I am not suited to answer your questions. However, I can fetch my sister or the big knight if you wish."

"No need to fetch people for me, Gretel. I can go to them." Ruby rose to her feet, slightly unsteady. Her legs were stiff. The girl threw out her arm to support her.

"How long have I been out?"

"Almost a week, your highness," answered the girl.

"Why do you keep calling me 'highness'?"

Gretel looked at her, baffled. "Because you're the queen now, milady."

Queen? Me? Ruby shook her head. "Take me to them, Gretel."

"Right away, ma'am." Gretel eagerly held the lamp in one hand and led Ruby out into the fresh air that promised rain.

King Charming's army was still camping there. Tents stood tall and taut; men murmured as they sat around spots of fire, dinner in hand. Somewhere, someone was playing the flute. It's soothing music washing away some of their worries.