Chapter 2

The force field was let down. The fight was over.

I won against the biggest, baddest meta in the whole school.

The crowd was silent.

Coach Malone blew his whistle, breaking the silence, and walked over to clean up the mess. With a wave of his hand, all of my cuts and bruises are gone, as well as Dick's broken bones. He got up and the floor is instantly fixed.

Coach had the ability to reverse an object's- or human's- state in time. He reversed the floor to the way it was before our battle, as he did with Dick and me. He can't do it on dead bodies, though.

After he got up, Dick punched his fist into his hand. This was obviously meant to scare me, but after what just happened, I didn't really care.

"What's your name, kid?" Coach asked me gruffly. I wasn't his favorite student, and he wasn't my favorite teacher.

"Jay West," I said curtly.

"Oh, my name's Jay-bird. Tweet tweet," Dick mocked me with a smile. This was very uncharacteristic of him. He was usually pissed after something bad happens to him- which didn't happen often. But don't worry. I could put him in his place anytime, anywhere, and we both know that now.

I just ignored him as Malone copied my name on the clipboard. I checked to make sure he got it right. "Uh, coach," I said, "You put my name under 'loser'. It should be under 'winner'." I looked at him expectantly.

"Oh, well, it's there now," he said with a shrug.

"First of all," I said, getting hot, "you wrote in pencil, and second, you can just scratch it out and write below it, if it's such a problem."

"Well, then, son, since it's so important, why don't you write it in?" He shoved the clipboard in my face. "In fact, since it matters so much, you can do the rest of the class period, why don't you?" He stormed off and sat in his chair, glaring at me all the while.

Thankfully, I don't have to do it. The bell rings right after I fill in the right information for my fight. Saved by the bell.

Two people jump out of the bleachers ahead of the others and head my way. 

"Damn, Jay, you put the hurt on Dick," Jake said when he reaches me. "You got yourself beat up, then came back and won with one hit!"

"Yeah," Ben said, "you're like top notch fighting material, Jay. Good job."

"Whoa, whoa," I said. "All I did was punch him one time after getting hit, like, a thousand times, so what I did wasn't that amazing."

"That's not what the girls were saying," Jake said with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

I couldn't hide my grin at that.

It looked like Jake is about to say something else, but I quickly cut him off. "Come on, we better get to class," I said hurriedly.