Chapter 28

I opened my eyes. I was right back where I started, in Cassie's house. But this time, I knew what I needed to do. In fact, I understood a lot that I hadn't before. I knew where the Master was. I knew where my mother was, or at least the general area. I knew all about Sage, and how long the Master had been controlling her. She never did break free from his control- he was setting me up. What for, I couldn't tell. But now, I had a mission, a clear direction for where I needed to go.

Getting up wasn't a problem. A quick check showed that my torso was perfectly fine. There was no sign of the stab wound that I had received. Even better, it didn't seem like I had been gone that long. The sun was still setting outside.

Thankfully, those creepy dummies were gone. They were really there when I saw them, meant to keep me on edge. That was the Master's way of trying to scare me off. Luckily, I wasn't easily brushed away.

The Master could control reality here, as well as people's actions and words, whoever he wanted. That meant that if I was going to go up against him, I would have to fight. Hard. And alone, since I was the only one who wasn't affected by his powers. That was due to my nanobots.

I sped outside of the house, heading toward Afterlight. I would need some protection for this fight.

Three minutes later, I arrived at the base. Just as I'd hoped, Jake's car was parked outside. If I wanted a protective suit, he was the one most likely to get me one. And if he wouldn't do it, then I would ask Que.

Once inside, I went down the elevator to the first floor. I looked around, trying to find Jake in the sea of people.

I saw Blink and Adam, but not Jake. Seeing as they might know where he was, I decided to talk to them.

"Do you know where Jake is?" I walked up to them briskly. "It's kind of important that I find him."

"No." Adam gave me a dirty look. "I haven't seen him. What about you, Blink?" He looked at him.

"Don't mind him," Blink said to me. "He's still raw over what happened to Mckenzie. But I think he said something about heading over to Dr. Snow's office," he said.

Ah, Mckenzie. I had forgotten all about her. I felt a little guilty about that, but there was nothing I could do about it now-she was dead. That may be a cruel look on it, but I had only known Mckenzie for a few minutes before she died. She seemed a nice enough person, though.

"Thanks," I said. And to Adam: "Everyone loses someone close to them. It's okay. You'll grow stronger and be able to take it if you ever lose someone again." I rested my hand on his shoulder.

He shrugged it off forcefully. "If it weren't for you, she'd be alive right now. Watch your back, Jay."

I had no way of knowing if that was the Master talking or Adam. But one thing I did know was that I couldn't waste my time with him right now. I needed to get a suit.

I hurried to the portal, making my way to Dr. Snow's office. I made a mental note to ask how it worked later. The thought hadn't occurred to me until now.

I approached Dr. Snow's office carefully, walking past the rows of desks with people behind them. The last things I had seen here were the dummies. I was almost afraid to knock on the door.

I could hear voices inside, but they hushed when I rapped on the door. "It's open," Dr. Snow called from inside.

I twisted the knob and went inside. Jake was sitting down in a chair in front of Dr. Snow. She was holding a flashlight up to his eye.