Chapter 24

I felt my speed turn back on, the electricity tingling throughout my body. But that wasn't the only thing I was feeling.

I turned to look at Cassie. "I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. I just-"

"Don't apologize," she said back. "I...I liked it. Now come on. You still need to learn how to summon your refrax." She hurriedly got out of the car, slamming the door behind her.

I followed her lead, closing my door and walking behind her so she could introduce me to her parents.

She pulled her keys out of her pocket to unlock her door.

She pushed it open, looking back to make sure I was still behind her. I walked in after her and she closed the door, locking it back with a click. "I'm home!" she yelled into the house.

"No need to yell, honey." Her mother came out from a room behind the staircase to our right. "Oh, hello, Jay!" She said excitedly. "I've been wanting to meet you for a while now. Cassie's said so much about you. How are you doing?"

"Great, thanks for asking," I said, running my hand through my hair. "Uh..." I looked to Cassie for help.

"Uh, mom. You're embarrassing me," Cassie said. "Come on, Jay, let's go upstairs." She grabbed my hand and pulled me up the stairs.

"Ah, ah, ah. Not so fast, young man." A familiar voice called.

I cringed. Oh no. Why was he here?

I walked slowly back downstairs and forced a grin on my face. "Hey, Officer Wilkey."

"Didn't think you'd see me again, did you?" he asked, his arms crossed. "I'm Cassie's father."

Oh hell no.

Cassie's face twisted in confusion. "You know each other?"

"He's the policeman I talked to yesterday," I explained. When I told her what happened, I left out the name of the officer. Now, I'm wondering if I should have told her at all. She would automatically be prejudiced against me.

"Since I'm an officer, you should know very well how hard it is to lie to me without me knowing," Wilkey started. "So if I hear any shenanigans going on in my daughter's room, you will be in major trouble not only with the law, but with me as well." He walked up to stand right in front of me. We were about the same height, so I could look at him evenly. "Do you understand what I am saying?"

"Loud and clear." I stared at him intently.

It was a stand off to see who would back off first. It definitely wouldn't be me. I didn't want Cassie to see me stand down to her dad like that.

After a few seconds, Wilkey let me go, deciding that I had the guts to stand there longer than he could. He let me pass to the stairs.

Once inside Cassie's room, I sat on the soft bed I remembered from the last time. It felt equally as pleasurable this time around.

Cassie quickly shut the door behind me. She stormed over to me and picked me up by my shirt, slamming me against the wall adjacent to her bed. With a little help from her telekinesis, of course.

"That's my father," she said. Not as a question, but as a statement. The red glow I saw before flashed in her eyes. I saw her anger getting ready to spill over.