Chapter 4

There weren't very many schools for superhumans like us out there. Our school was the only one I've heard of that could teach people how to use superhuman abilities. So a new kid wasn't that surprising. A year ago, I was this girl.

She stood there awkwardly, looking like she wanted to be anywhere but there. "Well, Ms. North," Mr. Brown continued, "have a nice day. I trust Mr. West can answer any questions you may have?" He looked at me, eyebrows raised.

"Yes, of course, sir," I said. My eyes narrowed to slits. I couldn't remember ever doing anything to Mr. Brown. Why would he stick me with the new girl? Then again, I don't remember ever doing anything to Coach Malone either, and he's still out to get me.

"Then I will see you later," Principal Brown said. Then he exited the classroom with a barely concealed grin and a swift nod to Mrs. Brightly.

The girl walked over to the unoccupied seat next to me and plopped down. "So you must be Jay West. Everyone was talking about you today," she whispered, propping her head upon her hand.

"Oh, were they?" I said. Mrs. Brightly continued the lesson.

"Yep," she said. "Something about a big fight and a total loser miraculously winning." She stifled a laugh.

"I'm not a loser!" I exclaimed. The people around me turned to look at me irritably before turning back to the board.

"Sorry," I whispered. I just didn't want the first thing this girl thought about me to be that I'm a loser.

"So what's it like here?" she asked me. "Is it like regular school, or like, completely different? The name's Cassie, by the way."

"Jay," I say automatically. "But you already knew that. And this school is more on the completely different side. Here, we learn about metas, how to control our powers based on what the people before us could do, and make sure we don't turn out like that guy Blackout. But it isn't as good as it sounds. They only teach you the basics, sadly, and you're only as good as your powers."

"Hm. That's a bright outlook on things," she said.

"Yeah, well, if you go here long enough, then this school will eventually make you depressed."

The bell rang. I waited for Cassie as she gathered her things. "You ready?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied.

"Do you have some workout clothes?"

"Uh, no. Why would I?" She thought for a second. "Oh! I have gym next, don't I?" She checked her schedule. "Yep, I do. I need to go to my locker for a second. That alright with you?" She looked at me expectantly.

Cassie had the most beautiful face. It looked like an angel came down from heaven. From the tips of her eyelashes to her bottom lip, she was absolutely stunning. Nothing could compare to her beauty. I got lost in her eyes for what seemed like hours.

"Earth to Jay!" She snapped her fingers in front of my face. "Hey. Did you hear what I said?"

"Uh, yeah," I said, rubbing the back of my neck. "Yeah, that's cool."

"Good," she said. "For a second there I thought I'd have to walk there all by myself." She walked through the door out into the hallway, and I hurried after her without a second thought.