Chapter 5

Cassie's locker was right across the hall from mine (Coincidence? I don't think so). It only took her a second to grab her books and continue on down the hall to the gym.

To make conversation, I said, "So, Cass...I can call you Cass, right?"

She nodded her head slightly.

"Okay, uh, so you know how you have to have powers to get into this school, so, uh...what do you do?"

"Oh, I can..." She thought for second. "I'm psychic. I can read minds and move things with my mind." She grinned.

"You're not reading my mind right now, are you?" I asked her. I didn't want anyone in my head.

"Sadly, no," she said with false disappointment. "I can't really control it. That's why I came here. Besides, I don't want to be in your head. You're probably a perve or something." She looked away, probably wanting to take back what she said.

"Wait a second," I say. I step in front of her, forcing her to look at me. "I heard that, and let's get something straight right now. I am not a perve. I know what a guy's mind should be like, but I'm not like that at all. In fact, I don't even look at girls that way. And-" I see her get ready to speak, so I hurry up. "- I am not gay." I huff, just about done with my tirade. But I have one more thing to say. "And even if I did, I wouldn't look at you like that anyway- there's nothing to look at."

She stands there, flabbergasted, but then her optimistic face suddenly hardens into ferocity. "You know what, I thought I wanted you to help me out today, but never mind. I can walk myself to class." She pivoted on her heels and walked away.

I watch her go. Then the realization of what just happened sinks in. I hold my head in frustration as I mentally kick myself. What the hell, Jay? Why did you have to go and mess it up five minutes after meeting this girl? I kicked a locker in anger. It crumpled beneath my foot.

The tardy bell rings, and I'm left to hurry to class, hoping against hope that Mr. Brensen was late.

*****

I sit down a second before Mr. Brensen walks inside the room. "Good afternoon, class," he says in his usual monotone voice.

"Good afternoon," the students mumbled back.

Ben and Jake shared this class with me. They sat on both sides of my chair: Jake at my right, Ben at my left.

"So," Jake whispered loudly, "how'd it go with the new girl?" He raised his eyebrows in expectation.

"I messed it up," I whispered back.

"How did you mess it up in five minutes?" he said with genuine curiosity.

"I don't know!" I said with a shrug of my shoulders. "She called me a perve, then I told her I wasn't, and then things escalated from there."

Jake sat back, contemplating in silence. Then, choosing his words carefully, he said, "You know, since you messed up your chance with her, I bet you I have a pretty good shot." He ran his hand through his gelled hair, trying to fix the unruly mess.

"No way," I say. "She's mine." I remembered her angelic smile, her heavenly lips. Then I remembered what I said. "Just give me another chance, okay? I need to fix things."

"Maybe," he said. He didn't say another word after that.

Ben tapped his pencil on his desk, wondering what to say. He had been listening in the whole time. He decided not to say anything though, probably thinking he should let me figure out my own problems, and wisely so. He isn't one to say much anyway; he doesn't talk a lot. But when he does talk, you'd better listen.

Jake, on the other hand...he was the opposite. He was a nice person to talk to, and a really good friend, but he wouldn't stop talking. He was more of a player.

Me? I belonged to no group. I didn't have many friends, and I didn't like hanging out with girls that much (well, other than the one I just met today). But I am athletic.

After the bell rang, I ran to the gym to make sure I got there before Cassie did. I leaned on the wall outside the door, watching everyone go by until I saw Cassie's face in the crowd. She was mingling with some girls on the cheer team."Hey, Cass!" I called out. She looked up, but when she recognized me, quickly looked away. I caught up to her and grabbed her by the arm. "Cass," I said with as much seriousness as I could muster. "Look, I'm sorry I said what I did earlier. I was too harsh, and I know that. I just wanted to apologize." I waited for an answer as the crowd weaved around us.

"Don't worry, Jay," Cassie said, but without her trademark grin. "I won't tell the principal that you were mean to the new girl." She turned to go.

"Wait, what? No! That's not what I wanted." Cassie turned back around, waiting. "Oh?" she said questioningly.

"Look, I...I don't want us to be enemies, okay?" I reached out my hand, a tiny slip of paper in it.

She looked at my hand and looked back at me. Then she took the slip.

"We're cool?" I ask.

"We're cool," she says. "I'll call you tonight." She flashes her trademark grin at me before she is lost in the crowd.

There. I fixed it.