Closing

A / N

Welcome to Last Night at the Cafe! This is my first time or first attempt writing a romance so please be patient with me. For re-readers, welcome to Version 2 of LNATC. Still unpolished, still rough, with some new scenes and plots.

I'll try to explain the nuances of the Korean language and culture as the story progresses. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try my best to answer them. Remember to add this story to your library and follow me for the latest updates!

~

" – GET HIS NUMBER."

Her eyes grew wide.

"Why should I do that?" Seollal whispered from across the table.

At this hour, the lamps perched around the café were dimmed, throwing the space into a warm glow reminiscent of its name. Home. Tucked away beside a dance studio and a hanok restaurant, the café was composed of sets of mismatched tables and chairs to resemble a house. The interior changed according to the season, with pots of plants and flowers to contrast with the dark wood floor and the white walls.

She and Yu Ah currently occupied the living room setting. The red couch set against the wall was well-worn and covered with throw pillows while a coffee table with matching rattan chairs completed the rest of their corner. Stalks of pink muhly grass arranged in a vase gave the air a mellow scent, softening the intense smell of coffee that occasionally permeated the space.

"I told you I'd treat you to something fun because you won that competition," her friend said with a wrinkle of her nose. "But you chose a café?"

She and her friend had different ideas of fun - they occasionally converged at some point - but Seollal wasn't about to point that out. Yu Ah had let her choose after all, and so she had selected the place that imbued a sense of peace; Home.

"And now you're even making me read your manuscript!" she added, gesturing to the pile of paper that lay spread across the glass. "You're supposed to be relaxing!"

"But you said you wanted to read it!" she retorted.

Her friend let out a huff, her slim features creasing as she narrowed her eyes at her.

"I do want to read it," Yu Ah said. "But after I make my comments, you make more notes in that notebook of yours. Aren't you just doing more work? The point of tonight was to relax!"

She tapped a manicured nail on the table with emphasis.

"Since you agreed that we could do something fun," she went on, her lips tugging slyly, "then I dare you, get his number."

Seollal tossed her notebook aside as she let out a prolonged sigh.

She was sure Kazu could hear them from behind the counter. In fact, Yu Ah wasn't making an effort to be discreet.

Although Kazu was the barista and owner of Home, he wasn't exactly a stranger. She came here often with her writing and her lesson plans ever since pandemic restrictions lifted three months ago. Her weekly visits had struck her an acquaintance with the staff. Friendly as they were, she didn't think they would appreciate this breach in boundary.

What would he think if she asked for his number on a dare?

He wasn't someone she would never see after today.

"If you won't do it, then I'll do it," her friend declared with a tilt of her chin.

"Are you crazy?" she hissed under her breath as she grabbed a convenient pillow and tossed it at her friend.