28 | Breakfast Set

A / N

Final chance to ask questions! 

~

"SEOLLAL! JEON SEOLLAL! Your boyfriend is at the door!"

She jumped to her feet at the words. Throwing down her book onto her bed, she scrambled down the stairs, her hands flying to pat down her hair. It had been more than two weeks since she left Seoul. She and Kazu video called each other once every couple of days, messaging each other in between with random updates. His new part-timer, now more confident in their role, could be left under the supervision of Anna.

The tail-end of unnie's chattering floated down the hallway. Somewhere from behind herself, she could hear the clattering of toys and the curious babbling of the children.

"...more handsome than your picture!" unnie exclaimed. "So, how do you like my dongsaeng? Do you treat her well? What – "

"Seollal ah," he said almost desperately when she appeared.

Her breath caught when she saw him. He was decked in a black coat over a plain, button up shirt and dress pants, his dark hair carefully combed back; much too formal for a simple visit to her home, but still handsome nonetheless. He held a basket of fruits in one hand, and an overnight bag in the other.

"You're here!" She took his bag, then hauled him in, barely able to contain her elation. "Come on in! Eomma's in the kitchen. This is my nosey unnie."

"Yah!"

His entrance was creating quite the fuss. Little footsteps had joined them, Maru and Hwan clamouring after the identity of the newcomer in their bright, childlike voices.

"Eomma, who's this?" Maru asked, peering wide eyed at him.

She had squeezed herself to the front of the group, her head tilted up to take stock of the visitor.

"Your imo's boyfriend," she said.

With a smile, Kazu got onto his haunches, his elbow jutted out for a greeting.

"Annyeong, Maru-ya. I'm Kazu."

When the girl stuck her arm out, he tapped his elbow to hers.

"You know my name?" she asked, her voice sharp in curiosity.

"Your imo writes nice stories about you." Then he tilted his head to the side, the better to see the boy who had lingered at the foot of the stairs. "And who's this? Hwan-ie?"

Hwan toddled shyly to his mother, one hand stuck in his mouth. He stared back at Kazu with wide eyes, ducking shyly when an elbow was extended to him.

"Hwan ah," his mother chided him, one hand softly on his head. "Say annyeong?"

"Annyeong," he said softly, his eyes on Kazu's shoes, before turning aside.

Then he scrambled away, joined by his sister.

Seollal led her boyfriend further into the house, while her older sister scampered into the kitchen, some piece of news nearly bursting forth from her lips.

"Appa will be back soon," she said, showing him to the bathroom. "Was the train ride long?"

"It was alright. I made sure I sat away from people. Got a swab test too, just in case." He scrubbed his hands with a generous pump of soap, flung droplets from his fingers, then dried his hands on a towel. "I missed you."