~chapter 10~

"We're here doll!" Babettes bright blonde hair hurried into the house still in her nightgown, morey still in his pjs but the black fedora still perched proudly on top of his head. "Thank you so much babette" Emma hugged the woman tightly her face still paper white which contrasted so differently with her deep maroon pjs. "No worries sugar we have the little doll" the woman urged hurrying the two Gilmore's out of the house and lorelai drove to the hospital, ranting on and on. While Emma's head spun with memories to dark for right now.
"Lorelai Gilmore! I'm her mother!' Lorelai sqwaked as she entered the er just shortly after Luke did. "Emma?! Mom?!" Rory had called through a curtain. "Jess..jess mariano?" Luke gritted through his teeth at the receptionist.

"Baby are you ok?!"lorelai whimpered watching as the nurse wrapped the gilmore girls arm in a cast. " it wasnt jess's fault really the animal just was there?!" Rory exclaimed trying to defend the troublesome boy making lorelai glare angrily. "What were you doing with jess!" Her mother said angrily looking between the two girls knowing that jess by all intents and purposes was Emma's, emma just shrugged not wanting to be apart of it after seeing her sister was ok. "What do you mean hes not here?!!" Luke yelled his patience coming to an abrupt stop making Emma's head snap wondering where the boy had gotten. "Mom can I borrow the keys right quick? I wanna make sure leah didn't wake up?" Emma said hastily her mother nodded. "I'll call you when were ready" lorelai said shortly.   Rory looked up at her big sister shamefully for being caught with the guy she liked. She snuck past a yelling luke,knowing exactly where the messy haired boy would be.

The drive back to the hallow was quiet, it was going on 1130 and not even the crickets were chirping. "Jess!" Emma called parking the jeep abruptly seeing his hunched silhouette sitting on the small bridge near the lake. She would find him here often just thinking,reading, it was where he taught leah how to crawl when they three took a picnic out by the water to see the ducks. Though they didnt seem to like jess much.

The boys head shot up looking at the girl with wild hair,rosey cheeks and her dark maroon pjs with Betty boop and a black cardigan over top. His whole world felt like he was being smothered. She was going to blame him. And he would have deserved it if he wasnt so caught up with her and dean rory would have been safe at home a book on her lap probably and a coffee from Luke's. "Emma.." he whispered as she ran towards him falling on her knees beside him grabbing his chin to look over his face to inspect for any cuts or injuries. "Why arent you at the hospital jess? You could be hurt internally" she snapped her eyes wide with worry making jess shut his eyes tightly. "I..I made sure she was safe before I left I swear.." he said tightly trying to swallow every tear that threatened to drop from his eyes. "Jess! Your not suppose to leave!" She argued angry with his attitude already. "Running away isn't always your answer!!" She said getting progressively louder not just angry and worried about the accident but just up and leaving leah..and her. "I'm sorry ok I didnt mea-" he started but she stood quickly. "You just run away everytime something gets tough?! You cant do that!! You cant do that to rory! To luke! To me! Or to leah!" She yelled at him as tears built in her eyes but his was already falling as he stood angrily.  "LEAH ISNT MINE EMMA!" He yelled so furiously that emma lept backwards like he was on fire the tears had streamed down her face. "Dont you think I know that!" She snapped as he looked at her trying to reach forward to grab her to pull her to him. To apologize for making her cry, to promise to be a better person if not for them but for leah. "I love you" he whispered almost so quietly he was sure she missed it. Her head snapped up at him his hand reaching out for her. "We care so much about you jess, but coming with me means coming with leah and you have to accept all of that, all of us" she snapped trying to pull her arm back from him but he gripped tighter as the tears began harder making sobs leave through his lips. "I want you guys, all of it! The late nights, the diaper changes, the first steps I want everything. I know she has a father and I will never replace Daniel but she chose me! She called me da and we both know she meant it" he argued. "I'm sorry jess..but I don't trust you" she snapped making his knees feel weak and his head spun. His old man left because he was flighty bastard and his mother was so into drugs a baby just made things more complicated. "I'm trying Emma! CANT YOU SEE THAT?! so what I don't have my life figured out like you do or a cushy inheritance and college plans but I'm trying and so what I'm not school smart, so what that I'm failing and Luke's going to kick me out and I'm working at walmart like a low life! But I'm trying for you and for leah!!" Jess yelled. "Its not enough jess! I dont want the inheritance I dont want all the plans but I know I need them! Leah deserves to have someone in her life worth going somewheres! I will not be my mom!" Emma snapped yanking her arm out of jess's turning around and walking back to her jeep. "Yes go back to perfect dean with the perfect grades and the perfect life choices we both know that's who you want. You never wanted me!" Jess yelled his abandonment issues coming to light quickly, making the young woman freeze as she spun around angrily walking back towards him, her hands splayed across his chest as she shoved him harshly his foot slipping as he fell into the freezing lake with a splash making him pop his head utterly shocked. "What the hell emma!" He yelled glaring up at her. "You listen here Jess Mariano. I would have moved mountains for you! I would have included you into every single one of my plans, I would make you our family, happy suppers and bbqs on the porch and you and leah running around in the grass with water guns and quiet evenings on the back porch her in your lap as you read to her about hemmingway or one of your own works. You are meant for great things Jess and I will not stand by and watch you self sabotage everything good in life because mommy and daddy didnt love you enough!" She spat at him making his blood run cold as she stood up running past a stunned luke at the end of the small bridge and in the jeep tearing out of the small secluded area.

"Well I guess she took care of that huh?" Luke said swatting down and holding a large hand out to his broken nephew. "I wanna go home" jess sighed angrily standing on the dock now shivering from the cold. "You wanna leave just like that? Leave here, leave her?, and leave leah? You want to throw the towel in?" Luke said disappointed in his nephew. "Maybe I am just like my old man. She dont want me I'm leaving" jess said angrily stalking past the truck and into town.