Chapter 1: We Are Young

The bursts of wind were pushing hard now. Instead of the quiet breeze, it had risen to a loud tornado-like force. I sat out on the porch, reading a chapter in my history book. My family’s singular abode lay on four acres of land. The country farm estate where we lived was cozy and we didn’t have neighbors for miles which I enjoyed. People had never been my forte. My brother shook out the dusty mat. He stumbled back inside the white home, tripping on my foot as I teased him. He turned back and gave me a disapproving look. 

Since he was older, he had more chores to do and more intense consequences. On the farm, we both worked dutifully, cleaning the chicken pen, feeding the animals, watering the plants, and my favorite, tending to my horse, Daisy. These weren’t considered favors to our humble parents, neither to us. In the small town of Bloomfield, Vermont we’d grown to love the outdoors and enjoyed every minute we weren’t inside doing some pointless job. 

My mom was a nurse far out into the city of Windsor. It was a decent drive and she worked long hours to support the family’s income. Father was a farmer and got close to no money on a daily basis. They could barely afford to send us to public schools in Bloomfield but most families in the town were in the same boat. However, most didn’t live in rural areas and if they did, they weren’t as lucky to receive all the farming land we had. On the East and Black branches, the tributaries of the Nulhegan river, rich soil lay and most of it belonged to a young man in his 40s or 50s, however, some of it was home to small families like mine. 

“Laylah!”  Doreen’s joyful voice interrupted my reading and although I’d never admit it to my intelligent mother, I was happy it did. 

“Hey Dori, how was school?” The young eight year old girl bounced into the green rocking chair beside me and it creaked loudly showing it’s old age. Her blonde hair had tangled yet again. Her blue eyes showed its usual twinkle but I noticed a speck of nervousness in her eyes. 

“It was good. Well, I don’t know. The walk home was long since Cora wasn’t here. I think she’s sick.” She paused and seemed to consider saying more but didn’t. I grew slightly nervous at her sudden silence. 

“With what?” I asked, already knowing the answer. 

“Measles,” She answered and we both shivered at the thought. They had initiated a kill-virus vaccine earlier that week but many kids had suffered death from the disease, or some long term effects. 

In the 1960s, measles was a common disease that many of us didn’t know about. It started with a fever or cough and then might lead into more serious matters like pneumonia and/or encephalitis which was swelling of the brain. Some of our own fellow classmates had died earlier that year so we were all glad a kill virus vaccine was created, although we didn't know if it would work. Also, called rubeola, it is highly contagious and most children got it. It was considered normal and most kids got it early on. I got it when I was Doreen's age, and nearly suffered fatality from the disease but I was tended for and recovered with my strong will powered immune system. Elliot got a mild case when he was age ten and was well in a few days. 

“We’ll tell mom to take you in and get the shot.” Her face drooped. 

“I don’t want to go in! Adrianne said it hurt real bad when she got it Monday! She said it was awful!” Doreen continued, flailing her arms up in the air now and then to show her fright. I shook my head in disbelief at how she would rather suffer weeks of pain, other than one second. 

            “It’s a shot, Dori.” I sighed and stood up. My relaxation had ended obviously the moment Doreen got here so I figured I’d just get started on the chores before mother got home. She'd be under much stress when she would have to deal with Doreen. I didn't need her scolding me for not doing my chores.