Chapter 11: I Think You Do

Jack and Jay walked down the long winding path that Laylah used to take when she rode Daisy. It brought up memories of when Jay had first met her when she was about eight years old. From the moment he saw her, he knew there was something special about that girl. Then, when she had her accident, he realized that he couldn't live without her but these two friendly moments never amounted to anything he was feeling right now. 

"I just can't believe they're gone. What if they've been raped? Or worse?" Jay cringed.

"Just shut up, Jack. Let's get Elliot and find them. This has already happened to Laylah once before and I don't want her coming back with two mechanical legs this time." 

"OK, OK. Someones touchy." Jay was about to go all off on him, when Elliot walked up. Elliot was a senior in their high school. He was much more mature and to Jack and Jay, basically a role model. They looked up to him (especially Jay) like a dad. 

"Hey guys, whats up?" He seemed so cool with the fact his sister was missing, but Jay noticed his puffy eyes. 

"We're going to find the girls." Jay replied, feeling brave. Elliot laughed.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have laughed. It's just...you don't get it, do you?" Elliot asked, curiously. The boys shook their heads, confused. 

"These aren't just any guys. They have guns, and many more weapons that you didn't even know existed. If you go and try to be the hero, they're going to use you as a threat to get to the girls. They are going to kill you, just to make those girls suffer." Jack and Jay looked down, feeling insulted.

"Why did you think Laylah broke up with you in the first place? She knew something was going to happen. She's had that weird sixth sense ever since the accident. She did it to protect you. Well, and the fact the your dad was involved in that accident four years ago." Elliot shook his head in disgust. Just thinking about any guy touching Laylah, made him shiver. 

"What do you mean?" Jay asked again. He knew his dad may have been involved in Laylah's incident but he never knew that Laylah and Elliot were in on this key clue. 

"Laylah told me that when she woke up in her room, that morning after she'd gotten back from the hospital, that she heard someone. It was a man's voice and he apparently told her something about how she'd caused it to happen again. Laylah suspected the man was talking about Henri." Elliot paused. 

"You mean, he said she caused the abuse to happen again?" Jack inquired. Elliot nodded, then continued.

"Then, when she fell on the track, she was confused. Her mechanical leg would have to be tinkered with, to break like that. So, when she went into the nurse's office with Clementine, she remembered something. She remembered his face. Dmitri Henderson, your father, Jay. After this recollection, she hoped things would go back to normal but something didn't feel right. And then, what do you know? She breaks up with you, goes to some party and we haven't seen her since." After Elliot finished retelling the story to the clueless guys, there was a moment of pity for Laylah and any other girl captured. 

"I'll die for Laylah. If you two cowards won't, I will. No girl should be treated this way. We don't even know if it's just them three! There might me more, and we can't let this happen." Jay countered. 

Elliot and Jack made eye contact, probably wondering if he'd gone insane. 

"Well, I mean...if you guys don't want to help...," Jay started until Elliot interrupted. 

"I'm in." Jack nodded in agreement. 

"Great, now where could they be?" Jay asked, realizing this wasn't going to be as easy as he thought.