Chapter 6: What I'd Do To Protect Me And You

As Elliot pulled into the rocky driveway that led to Grandma's home, I scanned the surroundings. I always admired the beautiful landscaping of my grandmother's yard. She always called on her young friend Joe. I was a little skeptical of Joe at first but I knew Grandma Lilly was getting old and needed as many friends as she could get, even if they were young friends with eight packs. 

     I stared at the gorgeous lavender colored drapes, outlining the bay window in the kitchen, and the perfect lilies lining the front walkway. Her cottage was quaint and cute. It had a couple steps leading up the doorway (for easy access) and a dark wooden door that was as sturdy as concrete. I pounded the door with my tiny fist, hoping grandma would hear. It was precisely 10 o' clock at night on a Friday. 

    "Coming!" She called from inside, probably rushing around searching for her slippers. She finally came to the door and unlocked all the millions of tiny locks she had installed on the door. I guess you could say Grandma Lilly was always cautious and very anxious, especially since grandpa passed. 

    "Elliot! Oh, and who is this? Laylah! Oh my dear! I was expecting Elliot but you? I haven't seen you since...," Elliot shot her a look but grandma didn't notice. She continued. "Oh, since that awful crash dear! Hows your leg?" I wish everyone was as straight forward as Grandma. My entire family tried to forget the crash, pretending it never happened. I knew they were trying to help me but to hear someone say it out loud was almost a relief. 

    "Hey grandma." I hugged her tight. She invited us inside and told us where we'd be sleeping. I placed my suitcase on my mother's childhood bed, hating the grey walls my mother had insisted on as a child. She was weird like that. Elliot threw his stuff in our uncles old room and we traveled down the long hallway, passing bathrooms and closets, to finally reach the kitchen. 

     The kitchen was full with granite counters, a nook, an entire pantry of food, lamps, flowers, candles, an old 40's stove and more. I smiled at the pretty area. This was the first time I'd felt at peace since...what seemed like forever.  

     Grandma placed a plate of cookies on the table and gestured for us to take one then grilled me with questions. Elliot decided to get to bed so he left. It was just us alone. 

     Grandma brushed the grey strands that had fallen out of her penciled bun behind her ear. 

     "Grandma, what do I do? Jay is my boyfriend now and I love him but his dad was involved in my accident and I know it. I just can't deal with the thought of Dmitri Henderson, Jay's FATHER, doing something to me and you know what I mean." She grasped my hands in her hands. It reminded me of when Jay had done the same. She held them with such delicacy, afraid to hurt me. Because I was weak? Maybe. I was weak. I may have been strong on the outside and in great physical condition, but on the inside I was like a glass bowl. One push, and I was gone. 

     "Honey. You need to break up with him. At least for now. I'm sorry but before you figure out what really  happened to you in those couple months before the accident, you can't be with Jay." Why was I so surprised? I knew what I had to do. I guess it just hurt to even think about not being with Jay or hurting him like I was about to. 

*** 

     I was resting in my bed. Resting. I couldn't sleep. I had gone through the break up in my head about a million times. "Hi Jay, I don't think this is working out. I can't tell you why. See ya!" I was stuck in my own thoughts. Trapped. 

  Someone was knocking on the door. I was about to go get it when I heard grandma rushing downstairs. Had I stayed awake all night? Was Joe hear this early? Or this late? 

     I heard whispered voices at the door. I tried to make out what they were saying. 

     "I told you. I don't know where she is. I haven't seen her since the accident. She was your girlfriend." Was grandma whispering about me to...Henri? No, but who else had I been with?

     "And I told you. I need to find her before she says something stupid that she'll regret." It was Henri. I heard his arrogant voice in my head at night in my dreams and this was an exact replica of that awful voice. What was he doing here and what did he mean?

     "Just get out. I don't want you here and neither does anyone else! You shot my granddaughter and I should be calling the police right now!" With that threat, I heard Henri running off in fright. He knocked over some potted plants on the way. Clumsy idiot. 

***

     It was Monday morning. I went to Grandma's to get away from all the drama and it turned out drama just follows me everywhere. Henri's conversation with my grandmother scared me every second of the day. Why the heck did he have to go in and just ruin everything? 

     This new event made me feel like I had to break up with Jay even more. It was awful thinking about this but I had so much on my plate and I couldn't deal with this as well. I grabbed my purple bag off the kitchen counter, kissed my father goodbye (my mother had already left) and took the long walk to school, finally arriving just in time to make it to first period. 

     I finally made it through the hour long class of torture, math and was on my way to science when I bumped into him. 

     "Sorry!" I apologized, not realizing who he was. "I just have so much on my mind, I wasn't even watching where I was going!" I continued while picking up my binders and such and grabbing the guys paper I dropped. I stood up and realized it was Jay, smiling. He was about to kiss me when I stopped him. Better now than never. 

     "Listen, I'm glad I ran into you. We need to talk." I pulled him into a janitor supply closet and took a deep breath. Here goes. 

     "I have a lot on my plate right now." Shoot. What was I doing? I had started tearing up. I hadn't even begun! 

     "Laylah! Don't cry. Please." He wiped a tear off my cheek. I held his hand and squeezed it tight. 

     "No. I don't think things are working out and...we have to break up." I pushed his hands away and ran out of the janitors closet, never looking back.  I sat in a small area of grass behind some bushes, sobbing. I didn't want this to happen. I didn't want to break up with Jay, but it was for the best. I was protecting him and myself, but from what? I didn't even know and that's why I was so angry, sad, and scared all at the same time. I hated not knowing.