5| Headaches and Bandages

"Dr Garza is busy," she says kindly to me.

"I guess I'm not hungry then," I tell her and lay back down. If there weren't bandages covering my face, then she'd see my irritated expression.

The nurse sighs and puts the food away, then exits the room.

Before the door can properly open, my eyes are already glued to it.

"So I heard you have quite the stubborn streak," my doctor says.

"Luis!" I forget that it still hurts to make sharp movements.

"Hello Aidan," he smiles that gorgeous smile. "You seem to be in better shape."

I notice that he didn't come back with the nurse as he picks up the food and sits at the edge of my bed. Now, if he'd only move closer...

My heart is already beating in my throat as he puts the spoon up to my mouth.

Please don't notice my lips trembling! I chant inside my head.

"I thought you wanted me to feed you," he looks confused. "Open up."

He has absolutely no reason to point it out like that. I open my mouth and accept the food.

I don't even know what it tastes like because I'm too preoccupied with the fact that he is here, on my bed, using those strong hands to feed me. He is going to make me emotional.

"Why do you keep giggling every time you take in a spoonful?" He asks and horror sinks deep in my gut.

"I'm– I'm just h-happy," I stumble over my words.

"Yeah?" He says. "It's a good look on you." I swear he is doing it on purpose.

"You don't even know how I look," I say.

"Is that what you think?" He asks. "Such a cute pout." He teases.

I refuse to eat anymore food because I just need him a little away from me before I said something stupid.

He puts the leftovers away. "Guess what?" He says.

I look at him and blink. "What?"

"It's time for some of your bandages to come off," he motions around his head and I understand. "We could do that now or I could come back in an hour if you want."

I pause as I realize what this means. I wasn't going to get away so easily with staring at him.

I realize it was easier to hide but if anything happened, my excuse would be that I wasn't well.

I tell him to do it now, because I simply don't want him to leave the room.

He is close once again and I am already flaming. What is wrong with my resolve?

Luis is so gentle as he unwraps the bandages around my head. "You stopped having random headaches, yes?"

"Yeah," I reply as I'm looking at his biceps stretching the scrubs. Please crush me.

"That's good," he says. Luis starts unwrapping the bandages around my face and I almost freak out.

He pauses. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine," I say and he continues.

My forehead is freed first, and it finally goes down to my chin.

I feel Luis hesitate and go rigid for the shortest time, before taking the last piece off.

He doesn't move off the bed when he is finished. When I finally get the courage to look up at him, I find that Luis is staring at me.

His eyes seem to roam every inch of my face until they finally fall to my eyes. His serious expression makes me feel all kinds of nervous and I am forced to look back down.

Wordlessly, he finally gets off the bed.

"Look," he says as he holds a mirror up for me.

My face surprisingly looks better than I thought it would. I almost look normal except for the tiny bruises and cuts that looked almost completely healed.

My remark dies on my tongue as I notice he is staring again.

"I'm gorgeous aren't I?" I ask.

Luis puts the mirror away and smiles at me. "Yeah, you are."

He is back to himself, so I don't know if he's saying what he should say, or what he really thinks.

"You know," Luis starts. "That night, you were found without one shoe and a one dollar bill inside your underwear... I still can't figure it out, were you playing Cinderella or were you stripping, or–"

I burst out laughing before he can go on, not believing how much of a mess I was.

"Shut up!" I say between laughs. "Are you serious?"

Luis ignores my question completely. "God, even your laugh is gorgeous," he says in a low voice and I stop.

He ruffles his hair and runs a hand through it before clearing his throat. "Okay, I'll leave you to rest some more." He discards of the bandages.

"Don't go," I tell him a bit desperately. It's embarrassing and I know it. But for Luis, I don't mind being embarrassing.

"I have to see my other patients," he chuckles. "I'll see you later okay?"

"No," my hands tighten on his scrubs as he turns to go, although weakly.

I hated even just hearing that he has other patients apart from me. I should be his only patient, so he wouldn't have to leave.

"Aidan..." his hand fastens on mine and my brain leaves my body.

It is the first time we've ever had actual contact. He makes it worse when he rubs over it.

My face flames as I snatch my hand back. "Fine." I turn to my side and away from him, dreading the feeling that I was red all over.

"You really are stubborn," he says and my pout deepens. The last part is almost like a whisper. "Makes me want to..."

I turn so fast to look, but when I do, the door is already closing behind him.

I probably imagined that last part.