Chapter 33

"So, is that the cure?" Nicholas asks, pointing at the jar of green liquid in my hand.

"No, this will turn me into a mermaid again once I have her... compensation."

"Oh, what did she ask for?" Ione asks, suddenly interested in my quest.

"Well, she was pretty vague. She gave me three riddles and I have to travel the world looking for miscellaneous items that all have one thing in common," I explain with a sigh.

"That's unusual," Ione says.

"What do you mean?" Chase and Nicholas ask at the same time.

"Well, she usually asks for traits, like Adella's voice or someone's smile. She isn't the type to send people on wild goose chases."

"Oh my gosh! Goose!" I exclaim suddenly. Everyone turns to look at me with confusion. "I think that's the answer to one of the riddles. An egg from which nothing will ever hatch."

"Goose eggs hatch," Chase tells me.

"Yes, but golden ones don't." I'm buzzing with excitement now. I've already solved one riddle, though the others do seem harder. Plus, I have to figure out where to find it, then retrieve it.

We swim back to shore. I tell Nicholas, Chase, and Ione the riddles but they don't know any fairytales and they're pretty vague so we don't get far. About a hundred feet from the beach the magic wears off. I jumped into the water first so I'm the first to turn human again. Unfortunately, I don't realize until I breath in and get a nose full of water. Luckily, I'm somehow wearing a bra and panties. By this point the magic isn't protecting me from the cold, I have to come up for air every other stroke, and my adrenaline has worn off so I'm exhausted. The air is warm compared to the water so I use my last bit of energy to dash out of the water to my cloak.

Chase chuckles as he reaches me. "You cold?"

"Y-yes," I say, my teeth chattering. "How are you not?"

He shrugs. "I run hot." Nicholas, who stayed back to thank Ione like the gentleman he is, finally reaches us, his arms crossed to stay warm and his lips blue.

"See, Nicky is cold too. He's normal, like me," I say. Chase laughs and suddenly wraps his arms around me. I freeze, again, my brain too tired to process what's happening.

Chase rests his chin on top of my head and asks, "Is that better?"

"Yeah, you're right. You are warm," I say, allowing myself to close my eyes and enjoy his body heat. When I open them I see Nicholas staring at us. "Join us, Nicky." He hesitates but shuffles towards us and joins our huddle. I'm sandwiched in the middle but I don't mind, heat radiates off of both their bodies and comforts me. We only stay huddled for half a minute, before Chase clears his throat and pulls away. Nicholas does the same. I can't help but roll my eyes. Fairytale boys are the exact same as the ones from my universe. They're so embarrassed to be seen being affectionate with other guys.

I wave goodbye to Ione before putting on the rest of my clothes and trudging up the hill to the castle. I'm so tired I could pass out but when Chase offers to carry me the rest of the way back I decline. I don't want to seem weak and helpless like so many princesses do. No matter how exhausted I am, I can get back to my room on my own.

After making our way back to the castle and through the long hallways I pause at my door. "Listen, I can't ask you guys to come with me to find the objects." Anticipating their reaction, I hold up my hand to stop their protests. "You both have lives and I really appreciate all the help you've already given me but I don't want to keep you from your duties for any longer. I'll give you a day to think about this. If you decide you really do want to help me, I'm happy to have you. If you decide you can't pause your life for me anymore then I'll respect that decision. Don't talk to me about this until the 24 hours are up." With that I walk into my room, shut the door, and immediately pass out on the bed.