Chapter 46

The kiss is gentle and sweet and makes butterflies erupt in my stomach, just like the ones that fly around us. Without thinking I lean into it, closing my eyes and kissing back. When Chase finally pulls slowly away the butterflies have all disappeared and I'm left confused and wanting more.

"What was that?" I ask softly.

Chase sighs and turns his back to me. "I really thought I was going to lose you today."

I don't know what to say.

"In that closet, kissing you was all I could think about, even with that giant outside the door. Leaving you in that house was... painful. It took every ounce of strength I had to trust you instead of protect you."

"I-"

"Vi, I'm sorry I keep confusing you like this. This was a big mistake."

"What?"

"Nicholas told me last night that he... he has feelings for you and he told you about them. And I'm his best friend and I went and kissed you the next day." He buries his face in his hands and groans. Maybe I just shouldn't say anything and I'll let him work this out. "I'm a terrible person."

He sits on the ground in a defeated position. I continue to stand over him awkwardly.

"Aren't you going to disagree?" he asks after a moment.

"Right. Of course you're not a bad person, you just did something impulsive that could be perceived as not good from a certain perspective." Probably the wrong time to stop talking and let him work it out. Oops. I crouch on the ground to convey sincerity and show I do care. "But in all seriousness, you truly aren't a bad person. I don't even think that this is such an awful thing. I mean, Nicholas may be angry if he finds out but at least you felt guilty immediately afterwards. At least you tried to restrain yourself for the whole day. Many other people would do worse things than what you just did."

He glances up at me and suddenly pulls me into another kiss. It's shorter but just gives me the same feeling of butterflies. "Fuck, sorry," he says leaning back against the beanstalk. He's acting mad at himself but I notice the slight smile that tugs at the corner of his lips. "Sorry, it's just really hard to control myself when you say stuff like that."

"You asked for it," I remind him.

"I know. I keep putting myself in these situations where I bait you into saying something... irresistible."

"Wow, no one's ever called me that before," I say.

"I find that hard to believe."

"Well do you remember what I first looked like when we met?"

"Not really."

"That's good. I was not doing too well in the looks department. Probably from the never going outside and getting exercise and eating healthy foods. Also all my clothes were terrible. I mean, I'm no Miola or Cinderella but I've improved, wouldn't you say?"

"I just remember that you were really fun to talk to. It's hard to find people that care about you but banter well at the same time."

"Stop, you're going to make me blush!" I exclaim.

"You've been blushing nonstop since I first kissed you!" Chase laughs. "Don't deny it, it's true."

"It's called a sunburn wise guy. Bold of you to assume you could make me blush with a simple kiss."

"Don't tempt me," he says. He's smiling but there's a sadness behind his eyes now.

"How... how long have you had feelings for me?" I ask. I've been debating asking this question for a while but I want to know.