Chapter 36

"Is something wrong?" Nicholas asks, his voice full of concern.

I hesitate. "Not really. I mean, kinda. Just... hear me out, okay?" He nods, his eyes trained on me as I get up and pace the room. "I needed a quill and some ink this morning so I went to your bag and I found a letter, the one addressed to Miola."

He doesn't speak for a moment and I stop my pacing so I can concentrate on his reaction. He takes a deep breath and says, "Okay."

"That's all you're going to say?" I ask, shocked.

"What else can I say?" He makes a good point. What can you say when someone brings this up?

I sit on the foot of the bed. "Well, you can explain what you're thinking."

"I'm thinking that it's unfair to me and Miola for us to go through with this whole wedding-thing."

"You have to get married. Your parents are going to kill you or worse, disown you. You've already run away, this may be too much. You said you'd do anything to be king and get rid of the segregation laws."

He pauses again to think about what I've said. "My parents don't have any other kids," he says finally. "They don't have a choice but to give me the throne."

I was surprised when I first found out Nicholas didn't have any siblings. Usually royalty breeds like bunnies but Nicholas was a miracle since his mother is practically infertile. She wouldn't allow her husband to impregnate anyone else, especially after Nicky was born so he's their only shot at an heir. "What about your cousin I met at the ball?"

"William."

"Right, couldn't he take the throne?" I ask, desperate for him to understand my point of view.

"He could, but I honestly don't think my parents will do that. I hear what you're saying but I've thought about this a lot. It's like what you said to Miola about her traveling. She will spend her entire life wondering what could have happened. Same goes for me." He moves closer to me and takes my hands in his. "Please respect my decision. I'm mailing this letter no matter what but I still want you to be on board."

I sigh but nod. If he's this confident that he won't lose the throne over this then I might as well support him. Suddenly, I remember something and I feel a burst of energy. "Sooo, who do you have feelings for? Tell me, I've been so curious."

"Oh, well... she's brilliant, adventurous, super brave, and beautiful."

"Ugh, I want names, Nicky!" I groan. "Don't leave me in suspense!"

"Violet."

"Yeah?"

"No, the girl I have feelings for is Violet, you. You didn't get that?"

"Ohhhhhh... wait, what?" It's as if someone has rebooted my brain. Suddenly, my mind is blank. Slowly, thoughts come to me as I process this. I guess I was so afraid of getting my hopes up that I convinced myself that he couldn't like me. I must have done it a little too well.

"Violet, are you okay?" Nicholas says, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry. So, the girl you're breaking your engagement off for is... me?"

"Yeah." He swallows hard then asks, "Do you have feelings... for me?"

"Yes," I say without thinking. It's true but I didn't mean to admit that so blatantly.

"Oh good!" Nicholas says, breaking out in a smile.

"Right, but I can't be with you," I also say without thinking. My mind has not recovered yet. The look of disappointment on his face is immediate and heartbreaking. "It wouldn't feel right. I'm still on edge about this breaking off the engagement thing and Miola is my friend and-"