Chapter 41

The next few days are uneventful. We spend every day on the road without any adventures. Sitting up all day makes my back ache and my legs fall asleep. The reins of my horse chafe my hands and the rhythm of the horse's steps threaten to drive me insane.

Chase is quieter than usual. The word games Nicholas and I play aren't as fun without him so I get more time to be alone with my thoughts which also threatens to drive me insane. In fact, Chase is so quiet and distracted that he doesn't ask about how I knew a woodsman would come save Rosalind and Mary, which I thought was going to be a bigger problem for him.

Two days after meeting Little Red Riding Hood we leave the forest and make our way into the farmland. At first I was relieved because I'm 85% sure Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk didn't live in a forest and the beanstalk would be a lot easier to see from a distance. As it turns out, the trees provided a much needed shade so the sun relentlessly beats down on us as we ride and sunscreen isn't a thing here.

Three days after leaving the forest we stay at an inn atop a large hill. Nicholas's back is not doing too well from all the horse riding so he immediately goes to our room to lie down. Chase is going to go up too but I convince him to watch the sunset with me.

Behind the inn is a dirt path that leads to a lookout point. From this spot you can see the entire farmlands. It's mostly a flat plain with an exception for this hill. Carefully planted fields stretch for miles and the setting sun bathes everything in a golden light.

I sit down and take it all in. Everything here is so beautifully peaceful. When Chase doesn't automatically sit beside me I pat the ground and he takes the hint. 'Everything the light touches is our kingdom,' I think. Finally I realize Chase isn't going to start the conversation, which kind of makes sense since I invited him to come with me.

"I know it happened a while ago but thank you for saving me. I don't recall if I ever properly thanked you because I've been so scared to even think about it. I would be dead if it weren't for you and I owe you my life."

Chase sighs but doesn't speak for a long time. "I thought you were going to die. That was one of the worst moments of my life." He stares into the distance and his face remains stoic. I place my hand on his without really thinking about it.

"You haven't been the same since," I tell him. This is the real reason I wanted to talk with him. Not to thank him but to try and coerce the Chase I know back out of him.

Again he stays silent for a long time before speaking. "I killed. I killed two conscious creatures without a second thought for you. That kind of scares me."

"I'm so sorry I put you in that position. If it helps at all, they were really bad and you saved three good lives in exchange for two evil ones." This kind of justification is all I can think about when I'm left alone with my thoughts.

"I know, that's what I keep telling myself. I think I just need time to mourn."

"Okay. I know it sounds selfish but I miss you. You can take all the time you need." I give his hand one last squeeze before letting go and placing my own hand in my lap. I expect him to get up and walk away, we've said everything that we've been thinking about recently, but he doesn't. Maybe he wants to watch the rest of the sunset, which is why I'm still sitting here.

Recalling my attack brings something to mind that I didn't notice before because I was too afraid to think clearly about the events that took place. "It's strange, you kind of came out of nowhere when the woodsman was attacking me. I mean, I could have just missed you since I was preoccupied but I was calling for you and I never heard any response. It occurred to me just now that you also managed to kill a half-giant with one bonk on the head. Don't get me wrong, you're pretty strong but can anyone do that?"