Chapter 43

I sit up abruptly and try to take in what's happening. Nicholas and Chase are still asleep. It's dawn so in the dim light I can make out the boy in front of me. He's probably a year or two younger than I am. He's skinny and long-limbed with straight brown hair and tan skin. His clothes are ill-fitting and tattered. Of course he's fairly good looking, he is a main character after all.

"Who are you? What are you doing?" I whisper loudly, pulling my make-shift blanket to my chest as if it will protect me.

"I could ask you the same thing," the boy whispers back.

"Why do you need to know?"

"I could ask you the same thing," he repeats. "But maybe because you're on my land, sleeping behind my beanstalk."

Oh, he's Jack. Should have seen that coming.

"I'm Violet."

"I'm Jack."

"Can we talk somewhere else? I don't want to wake my friends."

"Sure, are you going to murder or rob me?" he asks as I slip out of the huddle, trying not to move anyone too much.

"No." I pull my cloak off the pile of cloth and wrap it around myself.

"Then let's sit over here." He leads me to his house, which is more of a shack, but doesn't let me inside. I suppose he still doesn't fully trust me which is understandable. He walks in the rickety building and closes the door behind him. When he comes out he's carrying two simple wooden chairs. He places them across from each other and sits down. I sit too.

"So why were you watching me and my friends sleep?" I ask once we're settled.

"Last night I saw you guys walk up to my beanstalk and I didn't see you leave. I was curious but I was afraid you might hurt me if I approached you so I woke up early and went out to have a look."

"Oh." Not what I would do in that situation but to each his own I suppose. "I guess you want to know what we're doing." Jack nods. "Well, my step sister was put under a sleeping curse and I have to get something from the giant who lives up there to pay for it. I promise I don't want to cause any trouble, I'm just trying to save my sister."

"Oh, I thought your explanation was going to be some crazy lie," he says. It takes me a moment to detect the sarcasm in his voice.

"You think I'm joking." He nods. "Well I swear I'm not, I don't really know how to prove it to you. Also, why would I lie?"

"I don't know, you're here to rob me?"

"Rob you? No, I don't think this is the place I'd come if I needed to rob someone," I scoff, crossing my arms and giving his house a judgemental look.

"You knew about the giant, you probably know about the money I stole yesterday," he answers.

"Believe me, the giant has more than the money you stole from him."

"Yeah, but it's safer to steal from me," he replies.

I understand why he's suspicious of me and he's obviously paranoid about his newfound riches. Doesn't mean I'm going to be patient. "Well don't worry, I'm not going to rob you. I told you the truth and I don't want to waste any more time explaining myself to you." I stand up and start walking back to my campsite.

"Wait!" he says. I turn to look at him. "Don't go away yet." His voice is sad and desperate. I bet he doesn't have many friends.

I study his dark eyes for a moment. "Fine. Just, trust that I'm not here to hurt you."