Chapter 41

“He won’t use it!” I shout. “He won’t kill you!”

        Hook slaps his hand over my mouth, his dagger clenched between his fingers.

        “But he will kill you!” Peter waves his own knife and lunges forward. Suddenly, Hook’s arms loosen. Felix is attacking him from behind.

        I wave my hands, my fingers yanking the dagger from Hook’s grip.

        I plunge down, the air racing around me. Peter’s swoops after me. His arms stop my fall. He carries me to one of the faces of Big Ben.

        The clock ticks above us. Midnight is almost here.

        Peter sets me down on the ledge. “Stay here, Wendy. Please.”

        “No-listen! We’re out of time! Hook won’t kill you because you are his greatest weapon.”

        “No, he doesn’t need me anymore-”

        An explosion rocks the air. The pirate ship bobs in the sky. The stars go out. The moon begins to fade.

        The hands of Big Ben freeze, a minute away from midnight. And I know we will never see morning.

        Lights flicker out over the city. He’s done it.

        Hook has won.

**

        Darkness settles over the world.

        And I watch as hope extinguishes.

        The pirate ship slowly descends, Hook standing triumphantly at the stern.

        Peter turns. The last sliver of moonlight catches in his eyes. He grabs my hand. “I know there is something you are not telling me! If you know how to stop this mess, then do it-no matter the price.”

        “I can’t!”

        “Please, Wendy. You must. I do not know what it is that you aren’t willing to give up. When Queen Moira spoke to me, she said that you are the only one who can do it. You are the only one who can save us.”

        “No, no.” I shake my head. “I won’t.”

        “You have to! What is it? Why can’t you?”

        I turn back towards Peter Pan. “I love you. That’s why I can’t.”

        “Can’t do what? Wait, you love-?”

        I kiss him, the dagger falling from my hand. It thuds onto the ledge where we stand. Peter kneels down.

        “They wanted me to kill you so that Neverland and the darkness would be destroyed. The fairies said it was the only way, but I know that can’t be true.” I crouch next to him.

        Peter fingers the dagger. “The only way?”

        “No, it-it can’t be. There has to be some other answer.”

        “I don’t think there is.” Peter swallows. “Time has finally caught up with me. I’ve already been dying for a century. Darkness is no way to live. I’m going to save you and this world, not destroy it. I’d rather die than be evil.”

        “Peter, no.” I push his brown hair away from his eyes. My fingers tremble, my whole body shaking with fear. “You can’t die, I won’t allow it.”

        The silver chain breaks as he pulls the thimble out. He closes my fingers around it. “This is yours.”

        “Keep it.” I offer, but he shakes his head.

        “I love you, Wendy Darling. I always will. And goodbye.”

        “Goodbye?!” I shake my head. “What? Don’t you dare-”

        “The game is over!” Hook shouts as he jumps from his ghostly pirate ship and lands beside us.

        “Yes, it is.” Peter’s gaze traces my face. He poises the knife of fairy dust and gold above his chest.

        I lunge for the knife. “No, Peter, no!” I scream.

        “Don’t!” Hook cries out.

        But Peter Pan closes his eyes and plunges the dagger into his heart.