𝟑. 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞.

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑; 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞
(𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗂𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗑𝗂𝗑- '𝗈𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖾𝗏𝖾' 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖾𝗉 𝗑𝗑 - '𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖼𝗄𝗈𝗇𝗂𝗇𝗀')

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑; 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞(𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗂𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗑𝗂𝗑- '𝗈𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖾𝗏𝖾' 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖾𝗉 𝗑𝗑 - '𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖼𝗄𝗈𝗇𝗂𝗇𝗀')

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐘'𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 in Wessex was easier than they could've thought. King Aelle's forces fell in the hands of the Vikings like sandcastles being crushed by waves. The sons of Ragnar took the king to the exact same place where his father was killed and then they got their revenge. King Aelle's corpse now hung from a tree, his back all open — due to heathen punishment called 'Blood Eagle' —, waiting for the vultures to arrive and eat his rotting flesh.

Having defeated, Aelle, the next on the army's hitlist was King Ecbert. His son, prince Aethelwulf, wasn't a mere soldier, however. He had fought heathens before and was considerably smart and brave — in comparison to Aelle at least. A higher challenge would never scare an army of Vikings, of course. They had the Gods by their side, and if that wasn't enough then they would feast in the halls of Valhalla later. Death was their biggest ally rather than something to fear.

By early morning the camp was already up and the warriors prepared themselves to battle. Helga was sitting beside her adopted daughter, both warming themselves by the fire. Tanaruz was still wary of her, but that didn't bring Helga down and she continued to show as much love and care for the girl as she could. Although, perhaps what the orphan needed was space — the exact thing her new mother didn't seem to be willing to give her.

Not far from the unlikely mother and daughter duo, Sigyn was helping Hvitserk tighten the knots on the leather vest that would help secure his chest during the battle — most warriors were wearing a similar vest. Helga noticed the longing stares between the third son of Ragnar and her second daughter, it wasn't surprising really. Sigyn was a beautiful woman and Hvitserk wasn't one to hold himself from beautiful women. There was no issue really, they were both grown. Yet something still felt odd to Helga. That was probably what made her call for her daughter and interrupt the moment the girl was having with the young Viking.

"Everything alright, mother?" the shieldmaiden asked as soon she stepped closer to the woman sitting by the fire.

"Of course, my dear! I just wanted to give you my blessing before the battle." there was a warm smile on Helga's face as she spoke, that was a usual occurrence when her words were directed to her beloved miracle child. "But first let me braid your hair."

"My hair is already braided." Sigyn held the long simple braid trying to show the poor work she had done earlier.

"By the end of the battle that thing will be undone already, and you won't be able to see the enemies because your hair will be in the way." the mother argued. "Come, sit here." she patted place by the ground in front of her. Sigyn would never have in her heart to deny something so simple to her favorite person in the entire world so she obviously complied.