𝟏𝟏. 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐳𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏; 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐳𝐨𝐧𝐞
(𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗂𝗏 - '𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗉𝗅𝖺𝗇' & 𝖾𝗉 𝗏 - '𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗉𝗋𝗂𝗌𝗈𝗇𝖾𝗋')

𝐈𝐕𝐀𝐑 𝐒𝐎𝐎𝐍 𝐄𝐍𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐆𝐎𝐓 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐈𝐍 his official role as the Heathen Army's official leader —  perhaps too comfortable

𝐈𝐕𝐀𝐑 𝐒𝐎𝐎𝐍 𝐄𝐍𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐆𝐎𝐓 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐈𝐍 his official role as the Heathen Army's official leader — perhaps too comfortable. Sure, he had a visionary mind as well as outstanding plans for their battles, but Sigyn was fed up with his enormous arrogance and the way he constantly belittled Hvitserk just for the sake of doing so.

Honestly, things weren't looking so great in York. For starters, an unknown disease plagued the settlement, and the already dubious health conditions in the settlement were only getting worse. To add to their troubles, the hunting party was gone for much longer than they should've been which resulted in a significant decrease in the amount of food available. To say Sigyn was worried was an understatement, she'd often join the hunting party — especially because it meant she'd be able to leave the thick walls of York and enjoy the sense of freedom the forest provided — so those people were somewhat her friends. The Saxons had been quiet for longer than expected and Sigyn wouldn't be surprised if her fellow heathens' delay was caused by their enemies, she hoped to be wrong. Yet hope was looking more and more like a foolish tale these days.

"Lord Odin, did I make the right choice?" Sigyn heard Hvitserk's voice as she reached the last steps leading to the trails on the top of the thick wall shielding them from the outside world. "Give me a sign." the Ragnarsson pleaded. "Help me. What is my fate?"

A bigger reason why Sigyn despised fate was that the need to fulfill it often turned people into its miserable slaves, always searching for something unknown to them — and, in most cases, something unattainable. The shieldmaiden understood her lover's despair, however, after all, things weren't looking so good for him either as Ivar treated him as his sidekick rather than a brother and an equal. Not to mention he willingly chose to leave Ubbe, who was not only his brother but his best friend.

"My mother once said our fate tends to be what we least expect." the young woman spoke making her presence known. "Not that I allow myself to fantasize about it anyway."

Hvitserk was startled and slightly uncomfortable for having been caught in such a personal moment between him and his lord Odin, but as his greenish hazel eyes found the brunette girl staring right back at him with a disarming smile any possible annoyance he might have felt due to her intrusion disappeared. Sigyn had this ethereal authenticity about her like she was too good to be true. She carried a light that was just her own and as the moonlight shone against her porcelain skin, Hvitserk swore she was glowing in a way only a deity would. If Ragnar and his lineage after him were descendants from Odin, perhaps Sigyn herself had a close connection to the gods as well. The longer the Ragnarsson stared at Sigyn's bewitching emerald eyes the more he was convinced that maybe she was a Valkyre sent to Midgard by the Allfather himself — well, then again, maybe he was simply drunk from the heavy amount of ale he had consumed earlier. Either way, Hvitserk realized at that moment that his fate was right in front of him in the form of this beautiful woman who made his heart beat much faster than it did on the battlefield.