𝟐𝟎. 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐝𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎; 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐝𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧
(𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘷, 𝘦𝘱 18 - 'baldur')

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎; 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐝𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧(𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘷, 𝘦𝘱 18 - 'baldur')

𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐘𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐆𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐊𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐆𝐀𝐓. She decided the prospect of venturing the world was far more interesting than staying in her homeland in the company of her ghosts and under the rule of a mad king. She would not go after her absent father or follow princes into war, she would go whenever she wanted and would do whatever she desired. It seemed like the perfect idea. First, however, she needed to wait for winter's end — there was no way to sail when the water was frozen. In the meantime, the shieldmaiden busied herself with her job at the carpenter's shop and prepared the essentials for her departure. Between these two things, she had her plate full enough that there was barely any time to get involved in any Ragnarsson's drama — and she was immensely content with it.

One afternoon, when she was leaving the carpenter's shop, Sigyn noticed the obnoxious statue of the 'god Ivar' had been cut in half and a sword pinned a pig's head on half of the statue's head. Oh, Freya almighty... That won't end well. Whoever was behind this just signed their own death sentences.

Sigyn left town after that, returning to the secluded home of her parents. The shieldmaiden planned to hunt her dinner — it was mostly an excuse for her to venture into the winter wonderland that had become the forest because she did have enough provisions to last the unforgiving season. Armed with only her bow and arrow and a knife, the brunette retraced the path she was familiar with. The grey and white trees greeted her like they were old friends and Sigyn was at peace, whatever was happening in town couldn't reach her there.

Or so she thought.

Screams of agony cut through the peaceful forest like blasphemy in a sacred place. Sigyn no longer hunted for woodland creatures, her targets were now humans. The cries of many made it easy for the skilled huntress to find their location — a clearing deep in the woods. Soldiers dragged men, women, and children like they were animals about to be slaughtered — in a way they probably were just that. Sigyn acted before thinking, raising her bow and releasing an arrow straight into a soldier's neck. Blood gushed from the wound and the man immediately fell, setting free a prisoner that was caged in his arms.

So much for staying clear of Ragnarssons' drama, Sigyn sighed but didn't back down.

From her hidden spot among bushes and trees, the woman eliminated four more soldiers before being caught. The man was twice her size and she immediately recognized him as White Hair, Ivar's henchman. Sigyn shot an arrow at him, but he dodged and in two strides the man approached her, taking the bow from her hands and snapping it in half. The shieldmaiden had no time to think and the next thing she knew her fist had made contact with the man's left cheekbone leaving her knuckles aching. There was no other opportunity for attack as White Hair's reaction was to grab her arms with one hand and put a knife to her throat with the other.