7

"The royal meeting was postponed," said Calliope by way of a greeting when Mnem opened the front door. "It's good to see you, Momma." She gave Mnem a big hug.

"The traffic!" Melpomene wiped her brow with a theatrical flourish. "Human drivers are ridiculous. Where are they all going in the middle of a weekday afternoon, anyway?"

"Their therapists." Erato kissed Mnem on the cheek. "You don't look too good, Momma."

Terpsichore tilted her head and circled around Mnem with a graceful light step that was more dance than inspection. "Momma looks beautiful."

"Heavenly as usual," said Ourania.

"Perfectly divine." Polymnia gave Mnem a kiss. "Love this top." Her fingers ran down the edge of the sheer, sky blue organza silk blouse. "You always dress like a goddess."

Mnem paled, turned away, and made a beeline for the bar in the living room.

Calliope joined her, made herself a vodka with a twist of lime. "Why are we having a family meeting?" She dropped ice cubes into the Waterford tumbler.

Mnem removed the ouzo and lemonade from the refrigerator under the bar. "Girls, take a seat."

"Oh dear, Momma, you've made this all sound terribly dramatic." Melpomene gathered her waist-length golden ringlets in her fist, twisted a few times, and tied the curly knot at the top of her head. "I'm all ears."

Erato plopped down on the sofa. "Does this have something to do with Senator Hottie?"

"How do you know about that?" Mnem took a sip of her drink, savored the tang as it cooled her throat.

"Mystery Greek Heiress Seen Dining with Senator Flores." Ourania held up her phone. "This town is gossip central. Probably has more free-lance paparazzi per square mile than anywhere in the world. Want me to read the article?"

"Not really." Mnem splashed more ouzo into the glass.

"Read it. Read it." Erato clapped her hands.

Ourania cleared her throat. "Senator Flores, possibly California's most sought-after bachelor, was spotted leaving a members-only restaurant with a mystery woman sources say is the heiress of a vast olive oil fortune in Kalamata, Greece. One of his aides, who requested to remain anonymous, said, 'it's good to see the senator enjoying his rare free time.' Is the young senator who works hard for his constituents finally going to settle down?"

Mnem flapped her hand. "He's a fling."

Calliope sat in the big club chair, drew up her legs, and draped them over the side. "Okay, Momma, out with it. What's this meeting all about?"

Mnem's heartrate doubled. "I don't know how to tell you this." She looked down at her drink, the words stuck between her mind and tongue. How foolish not to have planned what she was going to say to her daughters. Mnem didn't know where to start. Her own goddess failings? Her summons to FEM. Her new life as a mortal?

"Momma?" Terpsichore sprung cat-like from the sofa, kneeled at Mnem's feet, and set her hand on Mnem's knee. "What is it?"

Mnem's fingers laced through her beautiful daughter's hand and took a deep breath.

"Momma, you're scaring me," whispered Melpomene.

Mnem lifted her chin. "I've been fired."

Five muses looked from one to another, each lovely face pinched with confusion.

Calliope tucked a stray brown lock behind her ear and leaned forward. "From what?"

"From FEM."