15

A thin spray shot high in the air. The watery bloom joined the others, each fountain rising and falling in graceful tempo with the others. The water fountain made a spectacular backdrop to the press conference.

The news crews were out in force, eager to hear Senator Miguel Flores, fresh face of the party, announce his new work program for immigrants.

Naret stared at the forty or so people gathered at the other side of the fountain. Of all days and places to have an announcement. Naret considered her options. Wait for the conference to end. Come back another day. Naret looked into her supersized bag. They wouldn't keep. Besides, everyone was already on their way.

Naret strolled around the wide fountain and toward the group.

"Senator Flores! Senator Flores!" The reporters' shouts started the moment he emerged, smiling and waving, from the black SUV.

Senator Flores strode to the podium, five people taking their places beside him. Each wore shades of hope, courage, and optimism on their faces.

Senator Flores lifted his hands and the reporters quieted. "Thank you for coming." Confidence, charm, promises, and an uplifting speech about immigrants followed next.

Naret moved closer to listen. She was an immigrant now. A newcomer in this strange land called mortality. It was odd. She always felt at home before. Immortality was its own kind of home. A safe haven from the world's troubles. Troubles Naret watched come and go like a bystander. When one bad leader departed, another replaced him. Often worse. Sometimes better. Humans did not see the big picture. How could they? Their life was short. Only a few generations.

As a goddess, Naret saw it all, many times over. Toil and strife, leaders and governments, war and peace, the new generation's demands for a perfect world. The world was imperfect. It would always be imperfect. Humans were imperfect, and so their world would never be free of poverty, misery, injustice, and suffering. Humans needed those things. Without them there would be no wealth, no joy, no justice, no pleasure. The mortal world required both to function.

Naret was an immigrant. The senator said so. She had the same hopes and dreams as the people who stood beside him. She longed for a job, a purpose, a new life.

The crowd clapped, and Senator Flores held out his arms as though embracing the world with his love and compassion.

A movement caught her eyes.

Mnem hurried towards her with long leggy strides. "I walked for blocks to find a parking spot." Her face strained with annoyance, she flapped her hand at the small crowd. "This must be the reason why." She hugged Naret. "Why are we meeting here?"

Naret opened her oversized Louis Vuitton tote. "I wanted to share this with you." She pulled a krathong from its depths and gave it to Mnem as though it were made of the finest blown glass.

"It's beautiful." Mnem's fingers lingered over the layers of intricately woven banana leaves and artfully arranged blooms. "A Thai ritual?"

The krathong was small, it fit into Mnem's palm, the delicate weave and placement of each flower—from a ring of purple to a circlet of palest lavender—was a testament of the perfect union possible between humankind and nature.

"Yes, a rather popular one." Naret pulled another from her tote. "It's a wish boat. You usually set them afloat in a river, but I thought this fountain might be more..." Her arm swept from right to left as though encompassing the whole city. "Fitting."

Mnem inhaled the flowers' fragrance. "Thank you for including me."

"I made one for each of us. We all have new wishes now." Naret shielded her eyes from the sun's glare. "Here comes Axie."