23

A Green Getaway. That was the theme of the Gala at Gallery Hall. The lobby was an atrium of tropical wonders from towering açaí palm trees to a profusion of ferns. A team of party planners transformed the museum into a verdant visit of plants and foliage from around the world.

"We must be in the Amazon," said Miguel Flores, looking as sleek as a jungle panther in his Armani tux. He moved aside a huge frond. "Where are the tree frogs?"

"Anywhere but on me, I hope." Mnem wanted to check her hair, but she dared not risk messing with the profusion of braids in her half updo.

Miguel sidled close. "Don't fear, I will pluck any frog that mistakes your dress for a tree."

"I wonder where Greece is?" Mnem could not see past the wall of bedecked and bejeweled celebrities, politicians, and glitterati. "Do you think they brought in any olive trees?"

"Mnem!"

Mnem turned around.

Inna grabbed Mnem's hand. "Introduce me to the senator."

"Where's Duncan?" Mnem looked past Inna after making the introduction and spotted the six-foot-nine basketball star in the middle of fawning fans.

"Mixing business with pleasure as usual." Inna touched her mock crown, three Eze Gear ties woven together.

"Look," Mnem said after she made the introductions. "Is that Axie?"

"I'll get you a drink." Miguel disappeared into the throng.

As if feeling Mnem's and Inna's stare, Axie turned her head. She lifted her champagne flute in the air when she spotted them, then wove her way through the crowd. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here?" asked Mnem.

"No, what are you all doing here?" Naret squeezed past two people. "I have an invitation courtesy of Senator Flores." She lowered her voice. "I'm supposed to schmooze people into offering intern jobs for immigrants, but everyone here is only interested in drinking, name dropping, and sex."

Mnem cocked an eyebrow. "Nothing's changed in a thousand years."

"Except us," mumbled Axie. "We're nobodies here. Arm candy. A PR opportunity."

"Who are you here with, Axie?" Inna plucked champagne from a passing server.

"Professor Azam." Axie, looking every inch like a goddess in layers of white gossamer silk, glanced toward where the professor chatted with other PhD highbrows. "Amir knows someone on the museum board because he provides the historical context for a few of their pieces." She shrugged. "I'm here because his wife caught the flu, and he didn't want to waste the ticket. It was very last minute. I found out this afternoon."

"Oh my." After checking out Professor Amir Azam, Inna flapped her hand as though to cool off. "He's positively delicious. All broody and mysterious. Sex oozes from him." Inna quirked an eyebrow. "Is he as good as he looks?"

Axie's lips curled into disappointment. "He's married."

"Don't be such a downer." Inna grabbed a second champagne flute from another server and handed it to Axie. "Loosen up. Enjoy all this. Decadence, luxury, and revelry. Count me in."

Axie held out her hand, each finger stacked with diamonds, emeralds, and corundum set in gold. "Too bad no one here will kiss our hand and beseech us for favor and blessings."

"I always enjoyed a good kowtowing," said Naret.

They laughed. It was forced. Fake. A trying too hard sound that didn't fool any of them.