25

"Amazing." Professor Amir Azam leaned against the doorway of Axie's tiny office. His eyes were warm and inviting; held the promise of physical pleasures.

Axie looked up, blushed. Blushed! "Excuse me?"

It was wrong to work here. Most of the research assistants worked from home or the library. But Axie liked this small room crammed with three battered metal desks. It made her feel academic and purpose driven. She needed that. Needed somewhere to go and work. To accomplish things. This horrible little windowless room kept her sane. It also kept her perilously close to the sexy married professor.

"I don't know what I'd do without you," said Professor Azam. "Come, look at this."

Axie followed him to his office, where he sat down and pointed to his computer screen. "You've made more connections than I thought possible. Myths. Names. Dialects. I'm astonished."

"Thank you." Axie leaned over. Inhaled his scent. Felt his warmth.

"My project is going to come in well before deadline because of you." Amir angled closer. "You're my translation goddess." He looked into her eyes. "I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you looked like a goddess at the museum gala. Your white gown...simply ethereal."

Axie, her heart thumping with a feeling she did not like at all, straightened her spine. "I enjoyed the event."

They had driven separately. Axie insisted upon it. Today she realized it was the correct decision.

"You took my breath away." Amir's smoky voice permeated her bones, made her think of doing things she ought not.

Axie swallowed. Pretended fascination with his bookshelf.

Amir moved closer. Close enough Axie felt the heat of his desire.

"We share the same interests. The same passions." Amir was smooth. Dangerous smooth.

Axie knew his type. Found his raw sexuality appealing. Men like Amir were skilled lovers.

"How's your wife? Feeling better I hope." She went to the bookshelf, pulled out a random book.

"Much better. Thank you for asking." His tone shifted. The huskiness toned down a notch. "I don't want to talk about my wife. I keep my personal and academic life separate."

Axie flipped through the pages without seeing the words. "That's good."

"I want to talk about your future here."

Axie turned around. "I was under the impression this was a short-term assignment."

"Not anymore. Come to Göbekli Tepe with me. I'll be working with friends from the German Archeological Institute, and I would love your nuanced understanding of the latest findings."

Axie searched her memory. Turkey. A vista of rolling tan hills under an azure sky. The reason for her visit as clear as the celestial sphere over the Mediterranean Sea. The sultan and the three murdered concubines in his quarrelsome harem. Axie had discovered the liar—that was her ability after all. But it was more than finding the murderer, it was restoring peace to the harem. Which she did. It took a month. And to quench the sultan's lust in the meantime, Axie had lain with the sultan every day. A most pleasurable activity.

"It certainly would be a unique opportunity," said Axie.

"Good," Amir drawled. "I'll have more information in the upcoming months." He beckoned, gestured to his laptop. "One more thing."

Axie circled his desk.

He clicked. "Sorry, wrong page." He clicked again, but his stunt was obvious. The 'wrong page' showed a photograph of Amir emerging from the ocean, his swim trunks clinging to his muscled legs, his chest broad and well-defined.

Axie felt the pull of desire. Wanted him. Now. Here. Wanted to lift up her white skirt, sit on his lap, and indulge in a lustful tryst. As a goddess, Axie indulged quite often. But sex with a goddess meant something. It was a way for a man to connect with the divine. To inspire an exalted spark. A spiritual awakening. After sex with a goddess, men lay prostrate at her feet with humility and gratitude.

As a mortal woman, she would only provide physical release.

Axie studied Amir. Wondered what his lips tasted like. How his beard would feel on her skin, between her legs. She needed only to sit on the edge of his desk...

"Here it is." Amir clicked again and the screen filled with photos of the dig site.

"I don't mind getting dirty," she said.

Amir's eyes lit up. "Me neither." He swiveled the chair toward her.

Axie stepped back. "I look forward to meeting your wife on the trip."

Amir's face darkened. "My wife loathes airplane travel. She's not going."

Axie walked to the doorway, felt much safer.

"Accompanying me on this trip will lead to many opportunities," he said.

"I hope so." She turned to go.

"Axie." Amir's voice was commanding. "Play your cards right and you'll go far."

"I'm not much of a cardplayer, Professor Azam. My specialty is the Game of Ur. I always win."

The ancient board game required skill and luck. Except Axie's luck was no longer divine.

~*~*~*~*~