XII. The Dove

My head and side throbbed as I took Ciel's blow to my knee. I grunted, landing hard on the mat. 

"You keep leaving your left leg open," Ciel shouted, again charging at me. 

I rolled sideways and swept my practice sword out, sweeping for his feet. As if he knew exactly what I was going to do, he jumped easily, avoiding my blow and tapping me hard on the back with the flat of his blade. I half growled in rage and frustration as I stood again, readying to defend myself. 

It had been four days since my fight with the general, and since Silas had created a crater through Aurus, which Lex was unsurprisingly furious about. I had asked Ciel to teach me how to fight a Stygian, really fight, and to not hold anything back. He hadn't even pretended to hide the gleam of excitement in his eyes as he ordered me up before sunrise each day, where he whooped my ass without fail.

My wounds had almost completely healed thanks to a salve that Noctia, the honey-skinned healer, had given me to apply every day. However, Ciel's ruthless blows didn't help the healing process much.  

"Use force, Kaira! Throw your body into each strike while still keeping yourself grounded and firm in the legs," Ciel shouted from across the ring, his rapier gleaming in the light of dawn.

I ground my teeth to keep from replying. I charged, feinted left, and struck Ciel in the ribs. The blow brought the spymaster to his knees, giving me a chance to wrap my arms around his neck. "Do you yield," I asked in a husky voice. Ciel's hands pried at my arms to no avail. 

"No," he said, before latching onto my biceps and twisting me up over his head. The air left me with a whoosh as my back contacted the mat. Ciel was straddling me before I could blink away the pain, a wicked grin plastered to his face. "You forgot to plant your feet. You did well though." I scowled and made a vulgar gesture, to which Ciel only laughed. 

"My, my. When the two of you are in here, there never seems to be a moment of silence," an icy voice said from the doorway. "There's always metal hitting metal, or screams and grunts."

Ciel's smile faded and his face became stern as he helped me stand. To my despair, the source of the voice was Silas, who stood leaning in the doorframe, hands in his pockets. He was dressed in a fine sky-blue tunic with a golden hem. It made me wonder if he wore the bright colors to suppress the Stygian side of him: the side that belonged to darkness. 

"Please, don't stop on my account. I was just stopping by." Silas winked, "Your form is looking good, little dove." 

"Don't call me that," I growled.

"Ah, I see." He pushed off the door and strolled toward me. "So my cousin gets to call you pet names, and yet I don't?" 

I only stared him down. The last time I had seen him was three days ago in Lex's office, the day he had brought the general's severed head in like a trophy.

"No, I suppose that name is already taken. How about something else, hm?" Silas made a show of thinking deeply, his chin resting between his thumb and forefinger. "Kaira dear? That's what I called you the other day. It doesn't feel as unique as little dove though, does it?" 

Ciel stepped forward and cleared his throat. "That's enough, Silas."

"Why does he call you that? It's quite strange." Silas ignored Ciel, and the spymaster stayed quiet, although there was a tinge of red rage swirling in his eyes.  

"Thank you for another lesson, Ciel," I said, smiling. It was my turn to ignore Silas. "I'll see you at dinner." Ciel only nodded, his eyes still locked on the Protector's. I slid past the men and swiftly made for the door.